Dr. Kibrom Tadesse Sibhatu was a GlobalFood member in 2017. The information on this site reflects the status at the point of leaving GlobalFood.
Kibrom Tadesse Sibhatu, Ph.D.
- Economics of Biodiversity and Nutrition
- Economics of Poverty, Food Security, and Rural Employment
- Impact Assessment and Policy Design
- Economics of Climate Change Adaptation
- PhD in Agricultural Economics and Rural Development, University of Goettingen, Germany
- MSc in Socioeconomics of Bioagricultural Sciences, Nagoya University, Japan
- BSc in Agricultural Economics, University of Asmara, Eritrea
Field of research
DFG Research Training Group (RTG) 1666 Transformation of Global Agri-Food Systems: Trends, Driving Forces and Implications for Developing Countries
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Sibhatu, K.T. (2019) Farm-Level Agricultural Biodiversity Is Not the Principal Contributor to Diverse and Micronutrient-Rich Diets, nor to Overall Food Consumption in Smallholder Farm Households. The Journal of Nutrition, 149 (8):1482-1483.
- Kidane, T.T., Wei, S., Sibhatu, K.T. (2019) Smallholder farmers’ willingness to pay for irrigation water: Insights from Eritrea. Agricultural Water Management, 222: 30-37.
- Sibhatu K.T., Qaim M. (2018). Meta-analysis of the association between production diversity, diets, and nutrition in smallholder farm household. Food Policy, 77: 1-18.
- Qaim, M., Sibhatu, K.T. (2018). On the Link between Production Diversity and Dietary Quality in Smallholder Farm Households. World Review of Nutrition and Dietetics, 118: 102–111.
- Sibhatu, K.T., Qaim, M. (2018). Farm production diversity and dietary diversity: Linkages and measurement issues. Food Security, 10(1): 47-59.
- Sibhatu, K.T., Qaim, M. (2017). Rural food security, subsistence agriculture, and seasonality. PLoS ONE, 12(10): e0186406.
- Qaim, M., Sibhatu, K.T., Krishna, V.V. (2016). Market access and farm household dietary diversity. Rural21 - International Journal for Rural Development 50 (1): 12-14
- Sibhatu, K.T., Krishna, V.V. Qaim, M. (2015). Production diversity and dietary diversity in smallholder farm households. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 112: 10657-10662
- Sibhatu, K.T., Krishna, V.V. Qaim, M. (2015). Reply to Berti: Relationship between production and consumption diversity remains small also with modified diversity measures. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 112 (42): E5657
- Sibhatu, K.T., Krishna, V.V. Qaim, M. (2015). Reply to Remans et al.: Strengthening markets is key to promote sustainable agricultural and food systems. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 112 (45): E6083
- Sibhatu, K.T. (2013). Analysis of Subsistence Rainfed Farmers - Perception and Adaptation Strategies for Climate Variability and Change in the Highlands of Eritrea: The Case of Areas with Poor Potential for Irrigation. MSc Thesis, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan
Working Papers and other Publications
- Sibhatu, K.T. (2017). Farm Production Diversity and Dietary Diversity in Smallholder Farm Households. PhD. Dissertation, University of Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany.
- Sibhatu, K.T., Qaim, M. (2016). Farm production diversity and dietary quality: Linkages and measurement issues. GlobalFood Discussion Paper 80, Georg-August University of Goettingen
Presentation and Conferences
- Sibhatu K.T. (2019). Farm-Level Biodiversity and Dietary Diversity in Smallholder Households. The National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC), University of Maryland, Annapolis, USA
- Sibhatu K.T. (2018). Agricultural Diversity and Dietary Diversity in Smallholder Farm Households. World Environmental Health Day, Jambi, Indonesia.
- Sibhatu K.T., Qaim M. (2017). Own Production, Market Purchases, And Seasonal Food Availability In Ethiopian Farm Households. XV EAAE Congress, Parma, Italy.
- Qaim M. (2017). Farm production diversity and dietary quality: Linkages and measurement issues. 3rd GlobalFood Symposium, Goettingen, Germany.
- Qaim, M., Sibhatu, K.T. (2017). On the link between production diversity and dietary quality in smallholder farm households, 3rd International Conference Hidden Hunger, Stuttgart, Germany
- Sibhatu, K.T., Krishna, V.V. Qaim, M. (2015). Farm Production diversity and Dietary diversity in Developing Countries, Organized by American Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics and Western Association of Agricultural Economists, San Francisco, U.S.A.
- Sibhatu, K.T. (2012). Determinates of Microcredit Repayment Performance of Group Based Beneficiaries of SMCP & ACORD in Eritrea: A case study of Subsistence Farmers, Organized by The Agricultural Economics Society of Japan, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Tigrinya (Mother Language), English (Fluent), Amharic (Advanced), Arabic (Basic), German (Basic), Japanese (Basic)
Complete CV here