Scientific Presentation: Getting it Right (GGG) online
PhD students of the GGG, other PhD students if free places are available
April 20-21 & 27-28, 2021 (09:00-13:00)
available seats: 12
course language: English
lecturer: John Kluempers, PhD
In this workshop, participants hone their skills in giving scientific presentations in English and taking part in professional discussions following their own talks. In addition, they increase their awareness and use of vocal methods.
A good presentation begins with good preparation. Participants work on exercises that help them understand the best techniques in developing the right presentation by answering questions like: Who will be present? Where will I give my talk? How can I most effectively present my research material? What determines success?
Body language is an aspect that is covered in any presentation workshop but under these special circumstances, we will cover
effectively and efficiently using the online platform Zoom to give top notch presentations. Your voices will play a particularly critical role here.
In the second week, you will be asked to give a presentation of a maximum of five slides (excluding title slide) about your current research for a non-expert academic audience. Nevertheless, you should prepare it in advance so we can do slide analysis in the first week already.
In the four half-days of seminar work, you develop a solid foundation of effective strategies so that you can systematically prepare sound talks, improve your presentation skills, and increase your own self-perception. The participants will recognize their strengths and know how they can correct and improve critical parts of their presentations.
- giving numerous talks, including one over their current research
- taking questions, also difficult ones, in the follow-up discussion
- using storytelling techniques to make presentations more engaging
- becoming acquainted and using online platforms effectively
credits: 1 credit
- attendance on all four sessions
- ready to speak on short notice
- prepare your own presentation (see above)
- written reflection (3 pages) on the lessons learnt (to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 14, 2021)
Please, send an e-mail to email@example.com
contact for further information: Dr. Britta Korkowsky, Phone: +551 39-28219
This course is organized by the Göttingen Graduate School of Social Sciences (GGG).