Statistical Analysis with R
PhD-students of GGG, who work empirically during their research
This course is primarily aimed for PhD students from the faculties participating in the GGG and who plan to conduct empirical analyses within their PhD project. Prior knowledge of R is not required. However, the participants are supposed to be familiar with basic statistics (e.g. from introductory courses in statistics or econometrics).
The freely available statistical software environment R has established itself as a de-facto standard in many areas of statistics over the last years. The aim of this workshop is to provide an introduction into R and to repeat and illustrate statistical concepts that are relevant for applied empirical studies with R.
The number of participants is limited to 10. The participants are supposed to bring their own laptops. In order to obtain a course certificate it is necessary to actively participate in the workshop and to hand in a report (approx. 12 pages).
This course will be offered in English. PhD-students require a good command of spoken English.
Prior knowledge of R is not required. However, the participants are supposed to be familiar with basic statistics (e.g. from introductory courses in statistics or econometrics).
Course schedule (tentative)
• Monday (28.02.), 10:00-12:00 and 13:00-15:00
- Introduction (Downloading, installing and setting up R; first steps) and fundamentals of R
- Add-ons (packages)
• Tuesday (1.03.), 10:00-12:00 and 13:00-15:00
- Excursion: Basic concepts of Statistics
- Illustration of statistical concepts (Testing hypotheses, t-test, P-values,. . . ) with R
• Wednesday (2.03.), 10:00-12:00 and 13:00-15:00
- Importing and coding data
- Statistical modelling (t.b.a.)
• Thursday (3.03.), 10:00-12:00 and 13:00-15:00
- Graphics with R
• Friday (4.03.), 10:00-12:00 and 13:00-15:00
- Advanced topics (t.b.a., e.g. data base, LaTeX/Sweave, creating add-ons/packages in R,
Including C code)
The venue is the seminar room 2 in the “Tagungszentrum” of the historic observatory (“Historische Sternwarte, Geismar Landstr. 11, 37083 Göttingen). The topics of the workshop will be adjusted to the interests of the participants.
Dr. Oleg Nenadic, Daniel Adler, Institute for Statistics and Econometrics
Application starts 15. November 2010 until 31. January 2011
Please send your application to: email@example.com
Contact and further information:
Christina Qaim Phone: +551 39-10646
Dr. Oleg Nenadić: firstname.lastname@example.org
This course is organised by the KMU-Netzwerk der GGG and funded by the European Union (European regional development fund (ERDF)).