BiographyUte Rink joined the Chair of International Economic Policy in November 2020.
Before joining the chair of International Economic Policy, she worked as a research associate at the Chair of Development Economics (Prof. Stephan Klasen) and the Research Centre Poverty Equity and Growth and at the Georg-August-University of Göttingen. She was a visiting researcher at the University of California Berkeley between August 2015 and June 2016. Ute Rink received her PhD in economics in 2014 from the University of Wuppertal where she worked at the Chair of Industrial Organization and Innovation as a research associate with Prof. Werner Bönte.
Research areas in Development Economics:
- Female empowerment
- Financial literacy
- Disability and Poverty
- Household Financial Decisions
Articles in peer-reviewed journals:
- Rink, U. and Barros, L. Spending or Saving? Female Empowerment and Financial Decisions in a Matrilineal Society. World Development (forthcoming).
- Steinert J., Zenker J., Filipiak U., Movsisyan A., Cluver L., Shenderovich Y. (2017). Do Saving Promotion Interventions Help Alleviate Poverty in Sub-Saharan Africa? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. World Development , 104: 238-256.
- Boente W., Filipiak U. and Lombardo S. (2017). Get in with a Foreigner: Consumer Trust in Domestic and Foreign Banks. International Journal of Economics and Finance , 9(6): 38-51.
- Filipiak U. (2016). Gender differences in financial performance: New empirical evidence. Applied Economics Letters, 23(17): 1238-1243.
- Filipiak U. (2016). Trusting Financial Institutions: Out of Reach, out of Trust? Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, 59: 200-214.
- Boente W. and Filipiak U. (2012). Financial Literacy, Information Flows and Caste Affiliation: Empirical Evidence from India. Journal of Banking and Finance, 63(12): 3399 - 3414.
- Health shocks and risk aversion: Panel and experimental evidence from Vietnam (with Jan Priebe and Henry Stemmler). Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 267.
- Spending or Saving? Female Empowerment and Financial Decisions in a Matrilineal Society, with Laura Barros (2019). Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 268.
- The financial literacy gender gap and the role of culture (with Yabibal Walle and Stephan Klasen). Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 176.
- Female empowerment, cultural effects and savings: Empirical evidence from India (with Antonia Grohmann and Franziska Heyerhorst). Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 234.
- Get in with a Foreigner: Consumer Trust in Domestic and Foreign Banks (with Werner Bönte and Sandro Lombardo). Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 180.
- Financial Investments, Information Flows, and Caste Affiliation: Empirical Evidence from India (with Werner Bönte). Schumpeter Discussion Paper 2011-014.