Wiebke Kartheus, M. A.
- Museum studies/ Museology
- Institutional history and self-naration
- Modern and contemporary architecture
- Politics of exhibition making
- Art and capitalism
- Race and ethnicity in the art museum
- Feminist and queer theories
- Forms of visual narration (e.g. comics, graphic novels, music videos, etc.)
"Museum Studies as American Studies: Tracing a Relationship by Looking at American Art Museums and Their Architecture" (PhD)
|11/2016-Present|| PhD |
American Studies, Georg-August-Universität Göttingen
|10/2017-03/2018||Visiting Scholar, School of Architecture, Northeastern University, Boston|
|10/2012-03/2015||Graduate studies (MA), American Studies, Leipzig University|
|04/2008-09/2012||Undergraduate studies (BA), World English Literatures and Cultures and Art History, Saarland University|
|06/2018|| PhD |
Bavarian American Academy (BAA) 2018 summer academy in cooperation with Florida International University in Miami on “Questions of the Archive”
|10/2017-03/2018||Doctoral research stipend, Fulbright Commission, Berlin |
|02/2018||Travel grant for a research trip to Miami, Graduate School for the Humanities, Göttingen (GSGG)|
|12/2017||Travel grant for a research trip to Denver, Graduate School for the Humanities, Göttingen (GSGG)|
|11/2017||Travel grant for a research trip to Chicago and Milwaukee, Graduate School for the Humanities, Göttingen (GSGG)|
- "Bargaining for Prestige in the Exhibition: The Ambiguous Relationship between Economic and Non-Economic Capital and Its Effects." COPAS: Current Objectives of Postgraduate American Studies 17.1 (2016).
- "The ‘other’ as Projection Screen: Authenticating Heroic Masculinity in War-Themed Heavy Metal Music Videos." Metal Music Studies 1.3 (Sept. 2015): 319-40.
- with Bast, Florian, et al. "American Anxieties." Einleitung. aspeers: Emerging Voices in American Studies. 7 (2014). vii-xvi.
- with Adamkiewicz, Ewa, et al. "Memories in American Studies." Einleitung. aspeers: Emerging Voices in American Studies. 6 (2013). xii-xxi.
- "Männlichkeit: Ein interdisziplinäres Handbuch." Buchrezension. NORMA: International Journal for Masculinity Studies (2017): 1-3. Taylor & Francis.
Talks and Conference Papers
- "Museums as Places of Constructing the Past and Present." Guest lecture. American Studies Department University of Graz (June 13, 2018).
- "Museum Studies as American Studies." 10th Annual Summer Academy of the Bavarian America Academy “Questions of the Archive” June 2 – June 10, 2018 (Miami, June 6, 2018).
- "Museum Studies as American Studies: Tracing a Relation by Looking at American Art Museums and Their Architecture." Research Colloquium at the Department of American Studies, Leipzig University (30 November, 2016)
- "The Whitney Museum of American Art: Presenting Art, Preserving Value, and Shaping the American Art Scene." Regional-Kolloquium for American Studies. Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg (Halle (Saale), April 29, 2016)
- "Presenting Art, Preserving Value: The American Art Museum and Capitalism in the 21st Century." Research Colloquium at the Department of American Studies. Georg-August-Universität Göttingen (January 27, 2016)
- "Can We Trust Our Eyes? Edward Snowden and the Image of the Empty Seat." Trust Issues: Community, Contingency, and Security in North America. JFKI Graduate Conference 2014. Freie Universität Berlin (May 9 – 10, 2014).
- "Stereotypes, Rupture, and Potential: ‘The Other’ in Heavy Metal Music Videos Displaying Wars in the Middle East." Metal and Marginalisation: Gender, Race, Class and Other Implications for Hard Rock and Metal. Centre for Women’s Studies and the International Society of Metal Music Scholars (York, April 11, 2014).
- "Metallica’s Music Video for The Day that Never Comes (2008): Contesting ‘Islamophobia’ or Reaffirming Established Patriotic Narratives?" American Wars: Material and Ideological Battlegrounds. 12th Annual Student and Graduate Conference. Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (7 – 9 November, 2013).