Relocating with a family

Entering Germany

Spouses and children who are citizens of EU, EEA or Swiss countries can accompany you to Germany without restrictions.

If your spouse and children are not nationals of EU, EEA or Swiss countries, please check whether your family members need a visa to enter Germany here in the visa requirements overview. Information on visa requirements can be found at German embassies and consulates abroad. Contact the embassy or consulate covering the area where you currently live.

In order to obtain a visa, you must prove that all family members have sufficient financial means to cover their living expenses and have sufficient housing and sufficient health insurance. In some specific cases, spouses joining you must prove that they have a basic level of German. Further information can be found here.

Gainful employment of accompanying spouses

If your visa or residence permit allows gainful employment, your spouse is generally also permitted to take up gainful employment in Germany. Further information can be obtained from the German embassy or consulate abroad or the local immigration office.


The International Office
Welcome Centre

Von-Siebold-Straße 4
37075 Göttingen


Find us on Facebook

The Welcome Centre is not barrier-free. Please contact us if you need assistance.