Staiger, Jochen, Prof. Dr.
Professor of Neuroanatomy
- 1993 Graduation as Dr. med. at the Medical Faculty of the
Justus-Liebig-University Giessen; grade: summa cum laude
- 1994 - 2000 Post-doc at the C. & O. Vogt-Institute for Brain Research, Düsseldorf, (Head: Prof. Dr. K. Zilles); Leader of the research group „Cortical microcircuits“
- 2000 Habilitation and Venia legendi for Anatomy at the Medical Faculty of the Heinrich-Heine-University Düsseldorf
- 2006 Appointment as W3 Univ.-Professor for Cell Biology at the Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg
- Since 2010 Full professor and director of the Department of Neuroanatomy at the University of Göttingen
Major Research Interests
- Developmental plasticity induced by early postnatal deprivation of sensory stimulation in mice with intact or genetically altered thalamo-cortical projections
- Thalamo-cortical interactions as the first stage of cortical information processing
- Microcircuits in columnar modules – examining the Bauplan of synaptic connectivity of neocortex
- Tactile learning: Genomic regulation of experience-dependent plasticity in the trigeminal somatosensory system
- Prönneke A, Witte M, Mock M, Staiger JF (2020) Neuromodulation Leads to a Burst-Tonic Switch in a Subset of VIP Neurons in Mouse Primary Somatosensory (Barrel) Cortex. Cerebral Cortex 30:488-504.
- Hafner G, Witte M, Guy J, Subhashini N, Fenno LE, Ramakrishna C, Kim YS, Deisseroth K, Callaway EC, Oberhuber M, Conzelmann KK, Staiger JF (2019) Mapping Brain-Wide Afferent Inputs of Parvalbumin-Expressing GABAergic Neurons in Barrel Cortex Reveals Local and Long-Range Circuit Motifs. Cell Reports 28:3450-3461.E8
- Feldmeyer D, Qi G, Emmenegger V, Staiger JF (2018) Inhibitory interneurons and their circuit motifs in the many layers of the barrel cortex. Neuroscience 368:132-151
- Zhou XJ, Rickmann M, Hafner G, Staiger JF (2017) Subcellular targeting of VIP boutons in mouse barrel cortex is layer-dependent and not restricted to interneurons. Cerebral Cortex 27:5353-5368
- Guy J, Staiger JF (2017) The functioning of a cortex without layers. Frontiers in Neuroanatomy 11:54.
- Walker F, Möck M, Feyerabend M, Guy J, Wagener RJ, Schubert D, Staiger JF*, Witte M* (2016) Parvalbumin- and vasoactive polypeptide-expressing neocortical interneurons impose differential inhibition on Martinotti cells. Nature Communications 7:13664
- Wagener RJ, Witte M, Guy J, Mingo-Moreno N, Kugler S, Staiger JF (2016) Thalamocortical Connections Drive Intracortical Activation of Functional Columns in the Mislaminated Reeler Somatosensory Cortex. Cerebral Cortex 26:820-837.
- Prönneke A, Scheuer B, Wagener RJ, Mock M, Witte M, Staiger JF (2015) Characterizing VIP Neurons in the Barrel Cortex of VIPcre/tdTomato Mice Reveals Layer-Specific Differences. Cerebral Cortex 25:4854-4868.