Bodenschatz, Eberhard, Prof. Dr.
Professor of Physics, Director at the Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization
- 1985 Diploma in Physics, Minor: Polymer Chemistry, University of Bayreuth
- 1989 Doctoral Thesis in Theoretical Physics, University of Bayreuth
- 1989 -1992 Postdoctoral Fellow in Experimental Physics, UCSB, USA
- 1992 -1998 Assistant Professor of Physics, Cornell University, USA
- 1995 Visiting Professor at the MPI For Polymer Research, Mainz
- 1998 -2002 Associate Professor of Physics, Cornell University, USA
- 1999 - 2000 Visiting Scholar, University of California at San Diego, USA
- 2003 -2005 Full Professor of Physics, Cornell University, USA
- Since 2003 Director, MPI for Dynamics and Self-Organization, Göttingen, Germany
- Since 2005 Adj. Professor, Physics, Cornell University (CU), Ithaca (NY), USA
- Since 2005 Adj. Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, CU, USA
- Since 2007 Full Professor of Physics, University of Göttingen, Germany
- 2014 – 2017 Chair of the CPTS - Member of the Senate of the MPS, Germany
Major Research Interests
Experimental and theoretical investigations of self-organizing complex systems: spatiotemporal dynamics and applications in Biology, Geophysics, Hydrodynamics, and Medicine. Nanobiocomplexity: cellular signaling and intracellular biochemical networks. Cardiac dynamics: electrophysiological turbulence, arrhythmia, fibrillation, and sudden cardiac death. Lagrangian properties of fully developed turbulence. Microfluidics. Development of imaging and image processing techniques.
Homepage Department/Research Group
Selected Recent Publications
- Capelo HL, Molacek J, Lambrechts M, Lawson JM, Johansen A, Blum J, Bodenschatz E, Xu H (2019) Observation of aerodynamic instability in the flow of a particle stream in a dilute gas, Astronomy & Astrophysics, Vol. 622(A151), 20 pp.
- Zykov V, Krekhov A, Bodenschatz E (2017) Fast propagation regions cause self-sustained reentry in excitable media, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., Vol. 114(6), 1281 pp
- Weiss M, Frohnmayer JP, Benk LT, Haller B, Janiesch J-W, Heitkamp T, Börsch M, Lira RB, Dimova R, Lipowsky R, Bodenschatz E, Baret J-C, Vidakovic-Koch T, Sundmacher K, Platzman I, Spatz JP (2017) Sequential bottom-up assembly of mechanically stabilized synthetic cells by microfluidics, Nature Materials, Vol. 17, 89 pp
- Faubel R, Westendorf C, Bodenschatz E, Eichele G (2016) Cilia-based flow network in the brain ventricles, Science, Vol. 353(6295), 176 pp
- Sinhuber M, Bodenschatz E, Bewley GP (2015) Decay of Turbulence at High Reynolds Numbers, Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 114, 034501 pp