Many international students live in student dorms. Most dorms are ran by the Studentenwerk (Student Welfare Services), an independent non-profit organisation closely collaborating with the University.
If you are a(n)
- Erasmus+ and partnership student
- Double degree (dual-enrolment) or Erasmus Mundus student
you can apply directly for a room in a student dormitory with the Accommodation Service. Studentenwerk offers a limited number of rooms for the students enrolled in these programs at the University of Göttingen. For these students it is not possible to apply directly to the Studentenwerk for housing.
All other students: If you want to live in a student dormitory, you need to apply directly at Studentenwerk. All information about living in a student dorm run by Studentenwerk can be found here. Please note: there is a long waiting list with a waiting time of at least 12 months. If you would like to be put on the waiting list, please apply as soon as possible via the website mentioned above.
If you come to Göttingen for a research stay, internship (Erasmus +, etc.) or short-term stay for 1 to a maximum of 12 months, and if you are enrolled either at your home university or the University of Göttingen, you can apply for the Kreuzbergring 44-46 dormitory. You need to apply directly on the website of the Studentenwerk. When registering online, please note in which university institution in Göttingen you are doing your research stay, your internship, etc. and indicate your exact length of stay.
The following information about student dormitories is for Erasmus+ and partnership students and Double degree or Erasmus Mundus students:
- You need to register before the deadline (May 15 for winter semester/November 15 for summer semester).
- Studentenwerk Göttingen informs applicants about the result of allocation at latest by mid/end-July for the winter semester and by the end of January for the summer semester.
- Students who receive accomodation will receive a separate e-mail from the Studentenwerk Göttingen. A document called Annahmeerklärung will be attached to this e-mail. This document must be signed and returned to the Studentenwerk within one week. Your accommodation is confirmed only after the signed document is returned. All information can be found in the rental contract.
- Students who do not receive a positive reply will receive private housing offers, if available.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will be put on a waiting list.
- Due to space limit, we cannot guarantee housing to all incoming students in a student dormitory.
- All rooms are single-occupancy rooms with a shared kitchen and shared bathrooms.
- All are furnished with a single bed with mattress, wardrobe, desk, chair, table lamp and shelf.
- All student dormitories are mixed gender.
- No rooms are available for (married) couples.
- Please note: One room, one person.
- Pets are not allowed.
- You will only receive one offer from Studentenwerk. Please be sure to check your spam mail frequently.
- For more information about the student dormitories and their amenities, please check the website of Studentenwerk
- The rental contract signed between a student and Studentenwerk is legally binding.
- The rental dates are not negotiable and do not necessarily correlate with the exact end of the university semester. The rental period cannot be shortened or extended.
- The contract for the student accommodation begins on September or October 1st for the Winter Semester and on March or April 1st for the Summer Semester. Should you arrive at a later date or move out before the rental period ends, you will be expected to pay rent for the full rental period.
- A deposit of 300€ is required prior to move-in. The deposit (minus a fee for cleaning) will be returned upon move-out, on condition that there is no damage to the property.
The International Office
Mondays 10-12 h
Accommodation service for international students
Phone: 0551 39-21790
Accommodation service for international exchange students
Phone: 0551 39-21338