Antal, Andrea, Prof. Dr.
Group Leader Clinical Neurophysiology
- 1990 - Diploma in Biology, Attila József University of Sciences, Szeged, Hungary
- 1993 - University Doctor, Attila József University of Sciences, Szeged, Hungary
- 1998 - Ph.D. Albert Szent-Györgyi Medical University, Szeged, Hungary
- 2005 Habilitation Georg-August University, Göttingen, Germany
- 2010 Extraordinary professor, Georg-August University, Göttingen, Germany
Major Research Interests
Neuroplasticity became one central topic of neuroscience research in the last decades. Dynamic modifications of neuronal networks are an important substrate for learning and memory formation. Furthermore, pathological neuroplasticity might be one foundation of numerous central nervous system diseases.
The primary aim of our recent work is to develop and establish new non-invasive brain stimulation methods to induce physiological changes in the central nervous system in order to investigate cognition and complex information processing. Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) was developed by our group as a non-invasive tool to induce neuroplasticity in the human cerebral cortex. tDCS as a tool aims to induce prolonged neuronal excitability and activity alterations in the human brain via alterations of the neuronal membrane potential. Accordingly, this method is a promising tool in the treatment of diseases that are accompanied by changes of cortical excitability. Transcranial alternating current stimulation (tACS) and random noise stimulation (tRNS) are new external stimulation techniques influencing cortical activity. tACS and tRNS permit, due to the oscillating stimulation, external interference with the cortical oscillations. They can particularly modulate the temporary connections of cortical areas during a given task. Neuronal oscillations in the brain are associated with the processing of sensory information, learning, cognition, arousal, attention and also pathological conditions (e.g. Parkinson's tremor, epilepsy). Therefore, the external modulation of cortical oscillations could be an important component of induced cerebral plasticity. In terms of effectiveness tRNS seems to have at least the same therapeutic potential for the treatment of diseases such as depression and chronic pain as rTMS and tDCS.
Homepage Department/Research Group
Selected Recent Publications
- Stagg CJ, Antal A, Nitsche MA (2018) Physiology of Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation. Journal of ECT, in press
- de Lara GA, Alekseichuk I, Turi Zs, Lehr A, Antal A, Paulus W (2018) Perturbation of theta-gamma coupling at the temporal lobe hinders verbal declarative memory. Brain Stimulation, 11:509-517
- Antal A, Paulus W, Rohde V (2017) New Results on Brain Stimulation in Chronic Pain. Neurology International Open 1: E312-E315
- Huang YZ, Lu MK, Antal A, Classen J, Nitsche MA, Ziemann U, Ridding M, Hamada M, Ugawa Y, Jaberzadeh S, Suppa A, Paulus W, Rothwell J (2017) Plasticity induced by non-invasive transcranial brain stimulation: a position paper. Clinical Neurophysiology, 128:2318-2329
- De Lara GA, Knechtges PN, Paulus W, Antal A (2017) Anodal tDCS over the left DLPFC did not affect the encoding and retrieval of verbal declarative information. Frontiers in Neuroscience, 11:452
- Antal A, Alekseichuk I, Bikson M, Brockmöller J, Brunoni AR, Chen R, Cohen LG, Dowthwaite G, Ellrich J, Flöel A, Fregni F, George MS, Hamilton R, Haueisen J, Herrmann CS, Hummel FC, Lefaucheur JP, Liebetanz D, Loo CK, McCaig CD, Miniussi C, Miranda PC, Moliadze V, Nitsche MA, Nowak R, Padberg F, Pascual-Leone A, Poppendieck W, Priori A, Rossi S, Rossini PM, Rothwell J, Rueger MA, Ruffini G, Schellhorn K, Siebner HR, Ugawa Y, Wexler A, Ziemann U, Hallett M, Paulus W. Low intensity transcranial electric stimulation: Safety, ethical, legal regulatory and application guidelines. Clinical Neurophysiology, 128:1774-1809
- Antal A (2017) A late response from a female scientist to Hoy, 'Gender Imbalance at Brain Stimulation Conferences: We Have a Problem and it is Everyone's Problem'. Brain Stimulation, 10:855
- Turi Z, Mittner M, Paulus W, Antal A (2017) Placebo Intervention Enhances Reward Learning in Healthy Individuals. Scientific Reports, 7:41028
- Alekseichuk I, Pabel SC, Antal A, Paulus W (2017) Desynchronization in the Frontoparietal Network Impairs Working Memory. Restorative Neurology and Neuroscience, 35:147-158
- Lefaucheur JP, Antal A, Ayache SS, Benninger DH, Brunelin J, Cogiamanian F, Cotelli M, De Ridder D, Ferrucci R, Langguth B, Marangolo P, Mylius V, Nitsche MA, Padberg F, Palm U, Poulet E, Priori A, Rossi S, Schecklmann M, Vanneste S, Ziemann U, Garcia-Larrea L, Paulus W (2017) Evidence-based guidelines on the therapeutic use of transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS). Clinical Neurophysiology, 128:56-92
- Antal A, Herrmann CS (2016) Transcranial alternating current and random noise stimulation: Possible mechanisms. Neural Plasticity: 3616807.
- Woods AJ, Antal A, Bikson M, Boggio PS, Brunoni AR, Celnik P, Cohen LG, Fregni F, Herrmann CS, Kappenman ES, Knotkova H, Liebetanz D, Miniussi C, Miranda PC, Paulus W, Priori A, Reato D, Stagg C, Wenderoth N, Nitsche MA (2016) A technical guide to tDCS, and related non-invasive brain stimulation tools. Clinical Neurophysiology, 127:1031-48
- Alekseichuk I, Diers K, Paulus W, Antal A (2015) Transcranial electrical stimulation of the occipital cortex during visual perception modifies the magnitude of BOLD activity: a combined tES-fMRI approach. Neuroimage, pii: S1053-8119(15)01056-3.
- Turi Zs, Mittner M, Opitz A, Popkes M, Paulus W, Antal A (2015) Transcranial direct current stimulation over the left prefrontal cortex increases randomness of choice in instrumental learning. Cortex; 63C:145-154.
- Antal A, Bikson M, Datta A, Lafon B, Dechent P, Parra LC, Paulus W (2014) Imaging artifacts induced by electrical stimulation during conventional fMRI of the brain. NeuroImage, 85:1040–1047.
- Antal A, Kriener N, Lang N, Boros K, Paulus W (2011) Cathodal transcranial direct current stimulation of the visual cortex in the prophylactic treatment of migraine, Cephalalgia, 31:820–28.
- Antal A, Polania R, Schmidt-Samoa C, Dechent P, Paulus W (2011) Transcranial direct current stimulation over the primary motor cortex during fMRI. NeuroImage;55:590-6.
- Antal A, Chaieb L, Moliadze V, Monte-Silva K, Poreisz C, Thirugnanasambandam N, Nitsche MA, Shoukier M, Ludwig H, Paulus W (2010) Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) gene polymorphisms shape cortical plasticity in humans. Brain Stimulation, 3:230-237.