Documents required for enrolment as a doctoral student
Please submit the following documents to Göttingen University if you wish to enrol as a doctoral candidate coming from the EU or EEA, or as a foreigner with a German university entrance qualification:
- a copy of your degree certificate (Bachelor, Diploma, Master, State Examination)
- evidence of semesters studied at German universities (confirmation of periods of study)
- admittance as a doctoral student by the Dean of the relevant faculty (or by his authorized representative)
- insurance certificate for students from a state-regulated health insurance scheme (AOK, BVV, DAK, etc.). Please inform yourself about the terms of membership in the various state-regulated health insurance schemes.
Students covered by private health insurance must obtain a certificate from a state-regulated health insurance scheme stating that they are exempt from social health insurance ("Befreiung von der Pflichtversicherung").
- for foreign candidates only: certificate from the lectorate “German as a foreign language” (Lektorat Deutsch als Fremdsprache) as evidence of adequate language proficiency (DSH - German language test for university admission) or exemption from the DSH test by the Dean of Studies in writing.
A declaration of intent or any other positive written recommendation from a doctoral dissertation supervisor is not sufficient.
Certificates in any language other than German must be submitted in the form of a certified translation.