Dr. Carola Klöck (née Betzold)
Carola Klöck started a lectureship at the University of Göttingen's Institute of Political Science in November 2016. Her research, located at the interface of political science, development studies and human geography, centres on environmental and in particular climate change politics at all levels. Her PhD dissertation focused on the role of non-governmental actors in international climate change negotiations. Currently, Carola Klöck examines the links between adaptation to climate change and development aid, and seeks to understand how aid for climate change adaptation is distributed across developing countries, as well as to what extent aid-funded adaptation measures are effective and sustainable. In this context, she has a keen interest in small island states and conducted exploratory fieldwork in the Comoros in 2015.
Prior to coming to Göttingen, Carola Klöck was a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Antwerp's Institute for Development Policy and Management (IOB), where she remains an associate fellow, as well as completed a fellowship at the University of Gothenburg's School of Global Studies. She obtained her PhD from ETH Zurich.
Carola Klöck has taught and supervised in the areas of international environmental politics, development politics and research methods, at the postgraduate level as well as given introductory courses in political science at the undergraduate level. In autumn 2016, she teaches Theoretical and Empirical Approaches to Democracy, and will teach Small and Microstates in Global Politics in spring 2017.
- Jakob Skovgaard, Jonathan Pickering and Carola Betzold (2017). Managing Fragmentation and Complexity in the Emerging System of International Climate Finance. Special Issue in International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, forthcoming.
- Carola Betzold and Florian Weiler (2017). Allocation of Aid for Adaptation to Climate Change: Do Vulnerable Countries Receive More Support? International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics, forthcoming.
- Carola Betzold and Ibrahim Mohamed (2016). Seawalls as a Response to Coastal Erosion and Flooding: A Case Study from Grande Comore, Comoros (West Indian Ocean). Regional Environmental Change, in press. doi:10.1007/s10113-016-1044-x.
- Carola Betzold (2016). Aid for Adaptation to Climate Change Across the Pacific Island Countries. Canberra: Development Policy Centre Discussion Paper 46.
- Carola Betzold (2016). Klimawandel in kleinen Inselstaaten [Climate Change in Small Island Developing States]. WeltTrends. Das außenpolitische Journal 24 (112): 40-44.