Luz María Guevara Rivera
- Affiliation and social bonds
- Sociality in primates
- Primate Behavior
- Cognition and learning
- Animal welfare and conservation
Academic career and Field experience
- April 2021-Present PhD Student at the Behavioral Ecology Department from Göttingen University
- PhD program in Behavior and Cognition (BeCog). 2017-2018 Field Research Assistant at the Lomas Barbudal Monkey Project UCLA in Guanacaste, Costa Rica. Supervised by Dr. Susan Perry.
- Collecting behavioral data on 10 wild groups of white-faced capuchin monkeys(Cebus capucinus). Sep-Dec 2013 & Mar-Aug 2014 Research Assistant at the Living Links to Human Evolution Research Centre at Edinburgh Zoo for the Department of Cognitive Biology from the University of Vienna
- Training squirrel monkeys (Saimiri sciureus) in the use of a touch screen for cognitive testing and collection of saliva samples for hormone measurements. 2012-2013 MSc Applied Animal Behaviour and Animal Welfare at the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies from the University of Edinburgh
- Dissertation Project: Can learning an operant task be considered an enrichment tool? A study in squirrel monkeys (Saimiri sciureus).
- Literature Review: Promoting the ability to cope to ensure welfare in captive primates. Sep-Nov 2008 Diplomate in Ex-situ Wildlife Management at the National Zoo Park in Cuba
- Project: Influence of environmental enrichment in a group of tufted capuchins (Cebus apella) during the reintroduction of an infant at Africam Safari Zoo. 2005-2006 Thesis Project Research at the Animal Welfare Department of Africam Safari in Valsequillo Puebla.
- Environmental enrichment in a group of tufted capuchin monkeys (Cebus apella) by the introduction of puzzle feeders 2003-2004 Social service at the Ethology Department of Africam Safari
- Working with environmental enrichment in Mexican wolves, River Otter, Striped Hyenas, Black Bears and Spectacled Bear 1997-2003 Bachelor’s Degree in Veterinary Medicine and Zootechny at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine from the National Autonomous University in Mexico (UNAM)
- Guevara RLM, Tejeda PA, Perez FJS (2007) Capuchin Monkeys are puzzled by their enrichment. 8th ICEE Proceedings. The Shape of Enrichment Inc.
- Guevara RLM (2021) “El nexo entre comunicación y bienestar animal” [The link between communication and animal welfare] 1er Diplomado de Bienestar Animal en Fauna Silvestre [1st Diplomate on Animal Welfare in Wildlife], Instituto Veterinario y de Ecologia [Veterinary and Ecology Institute]. Virtual (Lecture)
- Guevara RLM (2021). “Comunicación Animal” [Animal Communication] 1er Diplomado de Bienestar Animal en Fauna Silvestre [1st Diplomate on Animal Welfare in Wildlife], Instituto Veterinario y de Ecologia [Veterinary and Ecology Institute], Mexico. Virtual (Lecture)
- Guevara RLM & Schiestl G (2014). “Learning from a friend: The role of social bonds and oxytocin in social learning of cognitive tasks in squirrel monkeys” Mini-Research Presentation at Edinburgh Zoo (Presentation)
- Guevara RLM & Messer E (2014) “Wild Medicine Exhibit” Science Festival featured by Edinburgh Zoo and University of St. Andrews (Q&A session with General Public)
- Guevara RLM (2013) “Can learning an operant task be considered an enrichment tool? A study in squirrel monkeys (Saimiri sciureus) BERG Stirling UK (Presentation)
- Guevara RLM (2013) “Can learning an operant task be used as an enrichment tool? A case study in squirrel monkeys (Saimiri sciureus)” Comparative Cognition Workshop. Bringing primates and corvid together Edinburgh UK (Presentation)
- Guevara RLM (2008) “Influencia del enriquecimiento ambiental en un grupo de capuchinos crestados (Cebus apella) durante la reintroducción de una cria en el zoologico Africam Safari” [Influence of environmental enrichment in a group of tufted capuchin monkeys (Cebus apella) during the reintroduction of an infant at Africam Safari Zoo] Diplomate in Ex-situ Wildlife Management. Havana, Cuba (Presentation)
- Guevara RLM (2007) “Capuchin monkeys are puzzled by their enrichment” 8 th International Conference on Environmental Enrichment ICEE Vienna, Austria (Presentation)
- Guevara RLM (2001) “Insuficiencia renal en el caballo” [Renal insufficiency in the horse] 2nd International Journal of Clinical Pathology Conference Mexico City. Mexico (Presentation)