Procedure - How does the application work?

Your application can be submitted in an informal form to the responsible examination board. You can contact the examination board via the examination office of your faculty. For examinations in the field of key competences, the examination office of the ZESS is responsible. The application should include:

  • A brief description of the compatibility challenges and their impact on study- and examination achievements,
  • a statement on your opinion as to which modification of the study- or examination achievement would be required to compensate the effects, as well as
  • a suitable proof (e.g. a medical certificate, a birth certificate or a notification from the nursing care insurance fund).

Submit the application as early as possible before the start of the study- or examination achievement. Applications for the extension of examination deadlines must be submitted before the respective deadline expires. If attendance is compulsory and you fear that you will not be able to meet the attendance quota due to increased childcare cancellations, long-term illness of the child or the need for care of close relatives, you should submit an application for disadvantage compensation at the beginning of the semester. Unforeseeable needs (e.g. acute illness of the child, loss of care that is announced less than 24 hours before the examination achievement or a sudden care situation) are not regulated by the disadvantage compensation. The procedure in the case of acute, short-term illnesses of you and your close relatives is defined in §18 Para. 2 Sentence 4 ff. in combination with §21 Para. 2 APO. Please note: §21 Para. 2 APO requires that in this situation no other care for the ill relative is available.
The examination board will decide on your application promptly and will inform you of the result of the decision (including reasons). If you do not agree with the decision of the examination board, you can contact the Family Service. It is not possible to appeal against this decision. During the counselling, it can be discussed whether a new, modified application is expedient.
If you would like to apply for disadvantage compensations in examinations and other academic achievements due to disabilities or chronic diseases, please use the information provided by the Representative for Students with disabilities and chronic diseases.