Politics (B.A.) (2 subjects)
Subject name: Politics
Degree: Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) (2 subjects)
Standard period of study: 6 semesters
Starting semester: Winter semester
Admission to the summer semester 2018:
- 1st subject semester: start of studies in the winter semester only
- 2nd to 6th subject semester: open admission (enrolment without previous application)
- International applicants (non-EU): start of studies in the winter semester only (application to International Student Office)
What can politics influence in the age of globalisation? Why are there always more conflicts in the world? What does social justice mean? These are the questions that political science deals with as a discipline of the social sciences. For this purpose, scientists examine the social behaviour with which collective binding decisions are made with regards to institutions, processes and results.
The Bachelor's programmes is 6 semesters long and offers a degree that qualifies graduates for professional work due to its combination of the following four elements:
• A sound introduction into the theories and methods of political science as well as a demanding education in the methods of empirical social research.
• Research-oriented introductory and in-depth topics corresponding to our specialisations of politics in the Federal Republic of Germany, comparative political science and political economics, international relations, as well as political theory and the history of ideas.
• Support in academic writing
• Internships that are relevant to studies
The double subject Bachelor's programme in politics is combined with a second subject of equal value. Especially useful combinations are with the history of law, political economics, Arabic studies or sociology. An example of a course of studies is found of the site of the Department for Political Sciences (see right).
Recommended prior knowledge
Very good English skills are strongly recommended for successful studies. Additional knowledge of other modern foreign languages is advantageous. Extensive knowledge in history, especially in recent and contemporary history, is required. Applicants whose knowledge in these areas is poor are recommended to improve their proficiency before beginning with the Bachelor’s programme.
Occupational fields and consecutive programmes
Graduates of the programme find work in the following fields of occupation:
- Media, public relations, political education and adult education
- Politics, administration and associations
- Non-governmental organisations and intercultural transfer
- Consulting agencies as well as marketing and opinion research
Internships give students orientation in the possible occupational perspectives and fields of work of political scientists. In academic advising, students will receive support in planning and conducting their internships and stays abroad. The office for internships and career entry of the Faculty of Social Sciences also offers individual consulting in career planning.
The Bachelor's programme also prepares students for scientific further qualification in a Master's programme. In Göttingen these programmes include the research-oriented M.A. in Political Science, the Master's of Education as well as the interdisciplinary and international Erasmus programme Euroculture (M.A.).