Exceptions/exemption options (by petition)
According to the Lower Saxony Higher Education Act (NHG), the following exemptions apply (Section 11 paragraph 4 NHG):
The following categories of students are exempted from the collection of tuition fees:
- 1. Students who are currently parenting a child, within the meaning of Section 25 paragraph 5 BAföG, which has not yet completed its 14th year at the beginning of the semester concerned
- 2. Students who are looking after a close relative, who is in need of care in the expert opinion of the medical service of the health insurance organization
- 3. Students who hold the office of an equal rights representative, without being given time off, for up to two semesters.
- 4. Students who are already registered at the same time for a joint course of study at another university to which the tuition fees are paid,
- 5. Students who are in the process of fulfilling study or examination regulations abroad as intended within the conditions of study,
- 6. Students who are in the process of undergoing an internship subject to the study or examination regulations as intended within the Study and Examination Regulations,
- 7. Students who are absolving or evaluating their practical year according to Section 1 paragraph 2 No. 1 read with Section 3 paragraph 1 sentence 5 of the Medical Licensure Act for physicians or
- 8. Students who are exempted from paying the contribution to administrative expenses, according to Section 12 paragraph 1 clause 2 Nos. 1 and 3 to 5 NHG.
Numbers 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7 also apply to students who are subject to the obligation to pay fees for long-term studies pursuant to Section 13 NHG (1).
In addition, the following remission options are available (Section 14 paragraph 2 NHG):
The tuition fees under Section 11 NHG and the fees and charges in accordance with Section 13 NHG can be waived in full or in part, if the payment would cause undue hardship. As a rule, the undue hardship clause is available for tuition fees:
- 1. In case the prolongation of the study period is the result of a disability or serious illness or
- 2. In case the prolongation of the study time is the result of having been the victim of a crime.
The existence of the preconditions under Section 14 (2) Sentence 2 No. 1 NHG must be evidenced by an official medical certificate. A petition under subsection 1 may be submitted up to one month after the end of the lecture period of the semester, at the latest.