Einrichtung: Geoscience Centre (Dept. Structural Geology and Geodynamics) (ID 13448)
Ansprechpartner: Dr. Leiss, Dr. Wagner, Dr. Trullenque
The Geoscience Centre (Dept. Structural Geology and Geodynamics) of the Georg-August-University Göttingen in Germany and the GEOS department, B2R team of the Institut Polytechnique UniLaSalle in France invite applications for the positions of
2 PhD students
starting from 1st July 2018 or earlier. The 75%-positions are funded within a larger EU-Horizon 2020 project for a period of three years.
You will work on the “Structural characterisation of Variscan reservoir outcrop analogues using digital data capture and analysis” to contribute to the Variscan geothermal reservoir modelling in granitic and metamorphic rocks, which is part of the H2020 project “Multidisciplinary and multi-context demonstration of EGS exploration and Exploitation Techniques and potentials (MEET)”. Your studies will focus on four sites representative for the Variscan orogen: metasedimentary and metavolcanic successions as well as crystalline basement overprinted or not overprinted by younger tectonics. Study areas are located within Europe (Harz, Palatinate and Taunus in Germany, Northern Vosges in France, Cornwall in United Kingdom, Ardennes massif in Belgium) and United States (Death Valley, California) territories.
Based on literature, existing maps and, where available, on own previous fieldwork, you will:
• identify representative geothermal reservoir analogues in the field and complete structural data acquisition and sampling during intensive field-campaigns,
• apply terrestrial LIDAR and quantitative high-resolution, ground and UAV-assisted photogrammetry during field surveys,
• proceed with the field data processing in terms of tectonic evolution, mineralogical and rock microfabric analyses, 3D-fracture network and structural modelling,
• contribute to investigations regarding petrophysical rock properties and reservoir rock-fluid interaction in close cooperation with PhDs and Postdocs at other Universities and Institutions within the MEET-project.
You have to choose to be preferentially based at UniLaSalle with the focus on granitic rocks or at Göttingen University with the focus on the folded and thrusted metasedimentary rock units. It is expected that you will closely cooperate in field and lab work with an intensive exchange with your partner University.
Your results will have a strong impact on the development of geothermal energy exploration in Europe!
• You completed an MSc study programme in Geosciences with the focus on Structural Geology and Tectonics
• You are highly motivated and experienced in field work and digital field surveying
• You are experienced in spatial data analysis (e.g. GIS) and structural 3D-modeling
• Your additional experience in microfabric analysis and diffraction methods will be also appreciated
• You are fluent in spoken and written English
• You are highly motivated to publish your results, present them at international project meetings and conferences as well as to complete a PhD-thesis.
• You bring excellent communication skills and enjoy working in interdisciplinary and international teams.
The University of Göttingen is an equal opportunities employer and places particular emphasis on fostering career opportunities for women. Qualified women are therefore strongly encouraged to apply in fields in which they are underrepresented. The university has committed itself to being a family-friendly institution and supports their employees in balancing work and family life. The mission of the University is to employ a greater number of severely disabled persons. Applications from severely disabled persons with equivalent qualifications will be given preference.
Please send your application, including a specific motivation letter, CV and relevant certificates, all in one single pdf file, by e-mail to Marie-France Hesse, e-mail: Marie-France.Hesseemail@example.com
The application deadline is: 30.04.2018
Please, do not hesitate to contact Dr. Ghislain Trullenque at UniLaSalle (phone: +33 3 44069327, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org), Dr. Bernd Leiss (phone: +49 551 397934, e-mail: email@example.com) or Dr. Bianca Wagner (phone: +49 551 3912840, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org) at Göttingen University, if you have any further questions.