Accepted language certificates

Language requirements

Applicants whose first language is not English have to prove a good working knowledge of English. Their proficiency in English must be certified in an internationally recognised test. The following tests and levels are accepted:

  • a) „Cambridge English: First“ (FCE) at least with grade A;
  • b) „Cambridge English: Advanced“ (CAE) at least with grade C;
  • c) „Cambridge English: Proficiency“ (CPE) at least with “pass”;
  • d) IELTS Academic („International English Language Testing System“): at least with Band 6;
  • e) „Test of English as a Foreign Language”, internet-based test (TOEFL iBT): at least with 80 points;
  • f) „Test of English as a Foreign Language", paper-based test (TOEFL PBT): at least with 550 points;
  • g) „The Pearson Test of English Academic“ (PTE Academic), at least with 60 points,
  • h) UNIcert level II
  • i) other proof according to the "Common European Framework of Reference for Languages" (GeR), at least level B2;
  • j) Technical assessment or coursework after foreign stays of at least three months or University language courses in an English-speaking country corresponding to the level of the tests in points a-i);
  • k) a minimum of two years of study or work in a country where English is the official language; Successful completion of the test (a-i) may not be more than three years before receipt of the application for admission.

The language test certificate should be no more than two years old at the time of application. Exempted from the requirement to provide proof of language proficiency are students whose first language is English and students with a one-year study or work experience in an English-speaking country within the last five years.

back to checklist required documents