Registration at the Local Residents' Registration Office

It is mandatory for everyone who intends to stay in Germany for longer than 3 months to register with the local Residents' Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt) immediately after arrival in a new place of residence.

On November 1, 2015, a new Resident Registration Act became effective in Germany. A document from the landlord / housing provider providing confirmation of your housing arrangement ("Wohnungsgeberbestätigung") is required for the registration process. The housing provider is either your landlord, a person designated by your landlord or the main tenant, if you are a subtenant.

You will need your passport and, the housing confirmation. Married couples and couples with children are required to submit a valid marriage certificate and children's birth certificates (with German translation by an in Germany recognized translator and if required with legalisation or apostile).
Please keep the proof of registration (Meldebescheinigung) with your official records.

If you need a Certificate of Good Conduct (Führungszeugnis) please ask at the local Residents' Registration Office for it. It will cost 13.00 EUR. The Welcome Centre can provide you with the application form.

Please note!

If you move during your stay in Germany you must notify the Residents' Registration Office of your new place of residence. It will be neccessary to present a confirmation of housing. Before you leave Göttingen, you will also need to deregister at the office. For this, all you will need is proof of identity.

Local Residents' Registration Office Göttingen
New Town Hall
Hiroshimaplatz 1-4

Phone.: 0551 400-4044

Opening Hours:
Mon, Tue: 8.00 - 15.00
Wed, Fri: 8.00 - 12.00
Thu: 8.00 - 18.30