RTG 1666: Transformation of Global Agri-Food Systems
Welcome to the Research Training Group (RTG) “GlobalFood”
Transformation of Global Agri-Food Systems:
Trends, Driving Forces, and Implications for Developing Countries
Global agricultural and food markets are currently undergoing a rapid transformation. Recent trends include:
- Trade in high-value food products is growing
- Consumers are increasingly aware of food quality and food safety issues
- “Westernization” of diets and lifestyles in developing countries
- Supermarkets are increasingly dominating supply chains from farm to fork
- The role of food labels, standards, and certification systems is growing
- Contract agriculture is gaining in importance, including in the small farm sector of developing countries
The ramifications for industry structure, competitiveness, and social welfare will be far-reaching but are not yet well understood. GlobalFood combines excellent research on these issues with an innovative training program for doctoral and postdoctoral researchers. The RTG was funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) from 2011 until 2020.
GlobalFood Symposium 2020
The effort to slow the spread of Covid-19, the inherent political regulations, and our social responsibility made us to cancel the GlobalFood Symposium (scheduled for 24-25 April 2020) for this year. However, the planning of the previous months, the joyful anticipation, and also the created team were not in vain.
We would like to thank everyone for their interest and for their help with the organization. For sure, we will plan similar events in Goettingen also in the future.
If you have further questions or remarks, please do not hesitate to contact us via email@example.com.