RTG 1666: Transformation of Global Agri-Food Systems
Welcome to the Research Training Group (RTG) “GlobalFood”
Transformation of Global Agri-Food Systems:
Trends, Driving Forces, and Implications for Developing Countries
Global agricultural and food markets are currently undergoing a rapid transformation. Recent trends include:
- Trade in high-value food products is growing
- Consumers are increasingly aware of food quality and food safety issues
- “Westernization” of diets and lifestyles in developing countries
- Supermarkets are increasingly dominating supply chains from farm to fork
- The role of food labels, standards, and certification systems is growing
- Contract agriculture is gaining in importance, including in the small farm sector of developing countries
The ramifications for industry structure, competitiveness, and social welfare will be far-reaching but are not yet well understood. GlobalFood combines excellent research on these issues with an innovative training program for doctoral and postdoctoral researchers. The RTG is funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG).
GlobalFood Symposium 2020
The Fourth GlobalFood Symposium will be held on 24-25 April 2020 in Göttingen. The two-day conference will feature plenary sessions with invited speakers, contributed paper sessions, and posters. Confirmed speakers include Jessica Aschemann-Witzel (Denmark), Chris Barrett (USA), Jessica Fanzo (USA), Jill Hobbs (Canada), Prabhu Pingali (USA), Catherine Ragasa (USA), Tom Reardon (USA), Lucia Reisch (Denmark), Jo Swinnen (USA), and Rob Vos (USA). We invited submissions for contributed papers and posters from all researchers working on issues related to the global agri-food system transformation. The submission deadline was 15 November 2019. All submissions have now been peer-reviewed and authors have been notified of the decision. Registration is now open!
For registration, please follow this link.
For further details please follow this link.