>>> Homepage Anja Jetschke / International Relations <<<
Anja Jetschke is Chair of International Relations at the Department of Political Science, University of Göttingen since April 2012. She also currently serves as co-chairwoman (2016-2018) of the German Association for Political Science (Deutsche Vereinigung für Politikwissenschaft (DVPW)).
Anja Jetschke received her PhD in 2001 from the European University Institute, Florence. From 2001 to 2010 she held the position of an Assistant Professor (C1) of Political Science at the University of Freiburg. From 2011-2012 she served as Academic Director of the 'Hamburg International Graduate School for the Study of Regional Powers', and from 2012-2015 as the head of research programme IV "Power, Norms and Governance in International Relations" at the GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies in Hamburg.
Anja Jetschke's main research areas are the establishment and the effects of the institutional design of international and regional organizations.
In this area, she pursues three large projects:
The DFG-sponsored Comparative Regional Organizations Project (CROP) conducts a large-N analysis of the factors determining the institutional design of regional organizations: The project systematically tests hypotheses derived from theories of diffusion, institutional design, regional integration and realism. URL: www.comparativeregionalorganizations.org
The project "Regional Integration in Asia" conducts a mixed methods analysis of the dynamics and special characteristics of regional integration in Asia based on the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
The qualitative project Comparative International Criminal Tribunals (CINCT) asks how the special characteristics of the design of restricted courts explain the behavior of international criminal courts. Systematic comparative case studies analyze the behavior of the International Criminal Court and the internationalized criminal courts in Cambodia, East Timor and Sierra Leone.
Selection of Publications and Presentations
A constantly updated list of the publications can be found on ORCID.
- Jetschke, Anja (2017) Internationale Beziehungen. Eine Einführung. Tübingen: Gunter Narr Verlag. ISBN: 9783823367444.
- Jetschke, Anja (2017) What Drives Institutional Reforms in Regional Organisations? Diffusion, Contextual Conditions, and the Modular Design of ASEAN. In: TRaNS: Trans-Regional and -National Studies of Southeast Asia, 5(1) 173-196, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/trn.2016.30.
- Jetschke, Anja und Saori N. Katada (2016) Asia. In: Börzel, Tanja A.; Risse, Thomas (Eds.): The Oxford Handbook of Comparative Regionalism, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 225-248.
- Jetschke, Anja, Amitav Acharya, Philippe de Lombaerde, Hiro Katsumata und TJ Pempel (2015) Roundtable: Studying Asian and comparative regionalism through Amitav Acharya's work. In: International Relations of the Asia-Pacific, 15 (3): 537-566. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/irap/lcv005.
- Jetschke, Anja und Tobias Lenz (2013) Does Regionalism Diffuse? A New Research Agenda for the Study of Regional Organizations. In: Journal of European Public Policy, 20 (4): 626-637. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13501763.2012.762186.
- Jetschke, Anja und Andrea Liese (2013) The Power of Human Rights a Decade After: From Euphoria to Contestation. In: Thomas Risse, Stephen C. Ropp and Kathryn Sikkink (Eds.): The Continuing Power of Human Rights: From Commitment to Compliance, Cambridge University Press, 26-42.
- Jetschke, Anja (2011) Human Rights and State Security: Indonesia and the Philippines, Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- The Alternative Origins of Regional Human Rights Institutions: Refugees, Negative Externalities and Regional Human Rights Commitment in Southeast Asia, Talk at Department of Political Science, National University of Singapore, March.
- Do Refugees make ASEAN Rethink Human Rights, Talk at the Walter S. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center, Stanford University, January.
- The Modular Design of International Institutions, Keynote Speech at the CEDI Conference, Mainz, November.
- Co-Chairwoman of the Deutsche Vereinigung für Politikwissenschaft (DVPW)
- Member of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Asienkunde (DGA)
- Member of the International Studies Association (ISA)
- Member of the Deutscher Hochschulverband
- Internationalization commissioner and member of the library commission of the department of social science
- Visiting Research Consultant 2017-2018 of the Center of International Law of the National University of Singapore
- WiSe 2017-2018: IN-EAST Fellowship of the Centre for Global Cooperation Research, Universität Duisburg-Essen
- WiSe 2016-2017:
- Visiting researcher, Stanford University, Walter S. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center
- Visiting researcher, National University of Singapore, Faculty of Law
- Visiting researcher, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin, Global Governance Unit
- 2011: Cecil B. Currey Book Award for the book Human Rights and State Security: Indonesia and the Philippines, Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- 2008-2011: Margarete-von-Wrangell Post-Doctoral Fellowship of the federate state Baden-Württemberg
- 2009-2010: Post-Doctoral Fellowship of the DFG-sponsored research group „The Transformative Power of Europe“, Freie Universität Berlin
- 2007-2008:Post-Doctoral Fellowship of Mershon Center for International Security Studies, Ohio State University
Memberships and Professional Responsibilities
Fellowships and Awards
Main Areas of Research
Institutional design of international and regional organizations, diffusion, comparative research of regionalism, international criminal courts, international relations of Asia