Dr. Hanna Ihli was a GlobalFood member from 2011-2015. The information on this site reflects the status at the point of leaving GlobalFood.
Postdoc Researcher (Subproject C3 (Link): Gender and Agricultural Commercialization)
- The Role of Risk, Ambiguity, and Time Preferences in Farmers' Decision Making to Participate in Agroforestry Payments for Environmental Services (PES) Programs in Developing Countries
(Start-up funding, RTG 1666 GlobalFood)
Mentor: Prof. Oliver Mußhoff
- 06/2011 - 05/2014
Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics and Rural Development, University of Göttingen, Germany
Affiliated with the Research Training Goup (RTG) "Transformation of Global Agri-Food Systems: Trends, Driving Forces and Implications for Developing Countries" (GlobalFood)
Doctoral dissertation: "Decision Making under Uncertainty in Developed and Developing Countries: An Experimental Analysis of Farmers' Risk Attitude and Investment Behavior"
- 10/ 2008 - 05/ 2011: M.Sc. of Agricultural Sciences in the Tropics and Subtropics (Rural Development Economics), University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart
Master thesis: "Using Seasonal Rainfall Forecasts for Adapting Food Production to Climate Variability: A survey of Agricultural Households in the Sio-Malaba-Malakisi River Basin of Uganda"
- 03/ 2010 - 07/ 2010: Student Exchange Semester at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (UC), Santiago de Chile
- 04/ 2005 - 07/ 2008: B.Sc. of Agricultural Sciences (Crop Sciences), University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart
Bachelor thesis: "Water Resources Management in Rural Areas in Thailand"
- 09/ 1995 - 07/ 2004: University Entrance Diploma, Johannes-Kepler-Gymnasium, Reutlingen
- 01/2015 - 12/2015: Postdoctoral Researcher - GlobalFood RTG, Department for Agricultural Economics and Rural Development, University of Göttingen, Germany
- 06/2011 - 12/2014: Doctoral Researcher - GlobalFood RTG, Department for Agricultural Economics and Rural Development, University of Göttingen, Germany
- 09/2010 - 12/2010 Intern - Project "Transboundary Water Cooperation in the Nile Basin", German Technical Cooperation (GTZ) GmbH, Kampala, Uganda
- 08/2009 - 10/2009 Intern - Project "Management of Water Resources", German Technical Cooperation (GTZ) GmbH, Amman, Jordan
- 01/2009 - 07/2009 Student Research Assistant - Department for Agricultural Economics and Social Sciences, University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany
- 08/2008 - 09/2008 Intern - Department of Management and Sustainable Use of Plant Genetic Resources, Tropical Agricultural Research and Higher Education Center (CATIE), Turrialba, Costa Rica
- 04/2007 - 08/2007 Intern - Department of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering, Federal Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection (BMELV), Bonn, Germany
- 10/2005 - 03/2010 Student Research Assistant - Department of Crop Sciences, University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany
- 09/2004 - 03/2005 Farm Worker, Work & Travel New Zealand
Awards and scholarships
- German Research Foundation, Academic Career Support Grant
Awarded postdoctoral position in the GlobalFood RTG, 2015
- German Research Foundation, Doctoral Research Position
Awarded doctoral position in the GlobalFood RTG, 2011-2014
- Fiat Panis Foundation, Dr. Hermann Eiselen-Research Grant
Awarded Master thesis research grant for Uganda, 2010
- Baden-Württemberg Foundation, Baden-Württemberg Grant
Awarded exchange student at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Santiago de Chile, Chile, 2010
- MENTHO program, Mentoring at the University of Hohenheim
Awarded sponsorship of ambitious women in academia, 2008-2011
- Ihli, H.J., Maart-Noelck, S.C. and Musshoff, O. (2013). Does Timing Matter? A Real Options Experiment to Farmers' Investment and Disinvestment Behaviors. In: Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 58(3), 430-452.
- Ihli, H.J., Chiputwa, B. and Musshoff, O. (2013). Do Changing Probabilities or Payoffs in Lottery-Choice Experiments Matter? Evidence from Rural Uganda. GlobalFood Discussion Paper Series No. 24.
- Ihli, H.J. and Musshoff, O. (2013). Investment Behavior of Ugandan Smallholder Farmers: An Experimental Analysis. GlobalFood Discussion Paper Series No. 21.
- Ihli, H.J. and Musshoff, O. (2013). Investment Behavior of Ugandan Smallholder Farmers: An Experimental Analysis. Agricultural & Applied Economics Association's AAEA & CAES Joint Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013 in Washington DC, US.
- Ihli, H.J., Chiputwa, B., Bauermeister, F.-G. and Musshoff, O. (2013). Measuring Risk Attitudes of Smallholder Farmers in Uganda: How Consistent Are Results of Different Methods? The Second International Agricultural Risk, Finance, and Insurance Conference (IARFIC), June 16-18, 2013 in Vancouver, Canada.
- Ihli, H.J., Maart-Noelck S.C. and Musshoff, O. (2013). Investment and Disinvestment under Uncertainty: A Real Options Experiment. Annual Meeting of the SCC-76 "Economics and Management of Risk In Agriculture and Natural Resources" Group, March 14-16, 2013 in Pensacola, US.
- Ihli, H.J., Maart, S.C. and Musshoff, O. (2012). Investment and Disinvestment in Irrigation Technology: An Experimental Analysis of Farmers? Decision Behavior. Annual Meeting of the Agricultural & Applied Economics Association (AAEA), August 12-14, 2012 in Seattle, US.