Dr. Dennis Ochieng was a GlobalFood member from 2014-2017. The information on this site reflects the status at the point of leaving GlobalFood.
Occupation after leaving GlobalFood
Research Fellow at Development Strategy and Governance Division (DSGD), International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
Dr. Dennis Ochieng
Field of Research
Assessing farmers' preferences for various contract designs attributes using DCE Models: Case of vegetable farmers in Kenya
[Chair of International Food Economics and Rural Development; Supervisor: Prof. Matin Qaim, GlobalFood Subproject: D1]
Agri-food systems transformation in developing countries
- 2014 - 2017: Ph.D. in Economics, RTG 1666: GlobalFood, University of Göttingen, Germany. Thesis: Supermarket Contracts and household welfare in the small farm sector: Panel data evidence from Kenya (Download)
- M.Sc. in Agricultural and Applied Economics; Egerton University, Kenya
- B.Sc. in Agricultural Economics; Egerton University, Kenia
- 2011 - 2014 Data Analyst at African Economic Research consortium
- 2010 Agricultural markets consultant with ABMAB Ltd
- 2008 - 2009 Research Assistant/MSc student with CSO Dio-Bass Project in DRC
- 2007 Intern Agricultural Economist at Ministry of Agriculture
- Supervisor in several surveys with AGMARK Trust, Duke Global Health Institute, CIAT, UNWFP, UNFAO, Syngenta Foundation among others.
Peer-reviewed publications or book chapters
- Ogutu, S. O., Ochieng, D. O., Qaim, M (2020). Supermarket contracts and smallholder farmers: Implications for income and multidimensional poverty. Food Policy p.101940. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodpol.2020.101940.
- Ochieng, D.O., Veettil, P.C., Qaim, M (2017). Farmers’ preferences for supermarket contracts in Kenya. Food Policy 68, 100–111. doi.org/10.1016/j.foodpol.2017.01.008.
- Ochieng, D.O. (2017). Supermarket Contracts and household welfare in the small farm sector: Panel data evidence from Kenya. PhD thesis, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, University of Göttingen.http://hdl.handle.net/11858/00-1735-0000-0023-3E60-8.
- Ochieng, D.O. (2017). Supermarket Contracts, Income, and Changing Diets of Farm Households: Panel Data Evidence from Kenya. GlobalFood Discussion Paper 104, University of Göttingen. http://www.uni-goettingen.de/de/213486.html.
- German (basic)