Dr. Insa Flachsbarth was a GlobalFood member from 2016-2019. The information on this site reflects the status at the point of leaving GlobalFood.
Dr. Insa Flachsbarth
- German Institute for Global and Area Studies (GIGA), GIGA Institute for African Affairs (homepage)
- Moje coaching
Position in GlobalFood
- International Doctor in Agricultural Economics, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain 2015 (summa cum laude)
- Diplom in Business Administration, University Hamburg, Germany 2007
Field of research
DFG Research Training Group (RTG) 1666 Transformation of Global Agri-Food Systems: Trends, Driving Forces and Implications for Developing Countries
My overarching research interest lies in analysing the effects of the ongoing global socio-economic transitions. A growing and richer world population together with rapid urbanisation induce dietary shifts, an increased mobility of goods, services, capital and labour as well as fast technological change. I want to know how these mega trends affect global agricultural and food-value chains and their actors in developed and developing countries. Particularly, my work focuses on studying changing food supply-chain structures – with a rapid rise of modern retailing, new food safety and food quality standards, and higher levels of global vertical integration – with its ramifications for trade systems, agricultural versus non-agricultural labour employment, income, poverty and inequality, consumer and producer welfare, and environmental sustainability.
Flachsbarth, I (2015): A multi-scale analysis of transforming agricultural markets in the context of globalization: implications for natural resources, food prices and rural poverty in Latin America, Thesis (Doctoral), E.T.S.I. Agrónomos UPM, Thesis number 39073.
- Fiankor, D.D.D., I. Flachsbarth, A. Masood, B. Brümmer (2020). Does GlobalGAP certification promote agrifood exports? European Review of Agricultural Economics 47(1), 247-272.
- D.-D.D. Fiankor, I. Flachsbarth, A. Masood and B. Brümmer (2019). Does GlobalGAP certification promote agrifood exports?. European Review of Agricultural Economics, jbz023. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/erae/jbz023
- I. Flachsbarth, S. Schotte, J. Lay and A. Garrido (2018). Rural structural change, poverty and income distribution: evidence from Peru. Journal of Economic Inequality, 16: 631. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10888-018-9392-z
- I. Flachsbarth, B. Willaarts, H. Xie, G. Pitois, N.D. Mueller, C. Ringler, A. Garrido (2015). The Role of Latin America's Land and Water Resources for Global Food Security: Environmental Trade-Offs of Future Food Production Pathways. PLoS ONE 10(1): e0116733. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0116733
- I. Flachsbarth and A. Garrido (2014). The effects of agricultural trade openness on food price transmission in Latin American countries. Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research, 12(4), p. 927-940.
- M.M. Aldaya, I. Niemeyer, E. Zarate (2011). Agua y Globalización: Retos y oportunidades para una mejor gestión de los recursos hídricos, Revista Española de Estudios Agrosociales y Pesqueros, Ministerio de Medio Ambiente y Medio Rural y Marino, Madrid.
- H. Förster, T. Sterzel, C. Pape, M. Moneo-Lain, I. Niemeyer, R. Boer, J. Kropp (2011). Sea-level rise in Indonesia: on adaptation priorities in the agricultural sector, Regional Environmental Change: 1-12.
- A. Garrido, D.A. Uribe, I. Flachsbarth, M.M. Aldaya, O.V. Cordero Ahiman, B. Soriano (2014). Globalization and Trade. In B.A. Willaarts, A. Garrido and M.R. Llamas (Eds), Water for Food Security and Well-being in Latin America and the Caribbean: Social and Environmental implications for a Globalized Economy, EARTSHCAN - Botin Foundation, London-Sterling.
- D. Chico, M.M. Aldaya, I. Flachsbarth and A. Garrido (2013). Virtual water trade, food security and sustainability: lessons from Latin America and Spain, In IWRM in the 21st century: revisiting the paradigm, (2013)
- E. Lopez-Gunn, B. Willaarts, A. Dumont, I. Niemeyer and P. Martínez Santos (2012). The concepts of water and food security in Spain. In L. de Stefano and R. Llamas (Eds), Water, Agriculture and the Environment in Spain: can we square the circle? CRC Press / Balkema, Taylor & Francis Group, Botin Foundation.
Selected working papers and conference contributions
- I. Niemeyer and A. Garrido (2012). Virtual water trade in Latin America: challenges and opportunities for sustainable development under growing water demand, Planet under Pressure, Session: Water management in Latin America: challenging present and future scenarios, 25 - 29 March, 2012, London, Great Britain.
- I. Flachsbarth and A. Garrido (2012). Feeding the World in 2050: The Role of Agricultural trade, Natural Resources and Environmental Agreements (A Gravity Approach), Belpasso Summer School 2-8 September, 2012, Belpasso, Italy
- I. Niemeyer and A. Garrido (2011). Latin American Agricultural Trade: The Role of the WTO in Sustainable Virtual Water Flows, European Association of Agricultural Economists (EAAE), 2011, Zurich, Switzerland.
- I. Niemeyer and A. Garrido (2011). International Farm Trade in Latin America: Does it Favour Sustainable Water Use Globally? Value of Water Research Report Series No.54, UNESCO-IHE.
Complete CV here