Prof. Dr. Reimund P. Rötter
I am an agronomist, agrosystems modeller and agro-ecologist with more than 25 years work experience in Europe, Africa and Asia. My research interests lie in understanding and finding solutions for the multi-facetted challenges of achieving food security in a changing climate under increasingly limited resource availability - explicitly considering the increasing need to reduce the environmental impact of agricultural production.
Research foci and activities:
- Understanding of the production ecology of important tropical plant production systems, in particular interactions of genotype-environment-management through empirical experiment - based research
- Analysis of the effects of climate variability and weather extremes on yield and production of major crops, land use and food security - as well as their resource use efficiencies with respect to actual and future climatic conditions
- Development and improvement of dynamic crop and agricultural systems models for the application at different scales
- Utilizing and managing genetic diversity to develop resilent crops/cropping systems
- Improvement and application of integrative methods and models for the interdisciplinary analysis of the sustainability of current and alternative future agricultural production and land use systems - with due consideration of the relevant spatial and temporal scales
- M.SIA.P22.Mp: Management of tropical plant production systems
- M.Agr.0182: Blended E-course: Crop Modelling for Risk Management
- B.Agr.0400: Applications of explorative data analysis to agronomy
- B.Agr.0320.Mp: Introduction to tropical and international agriculture
- M.SIA.P10.Mp: Tropical agro-ecosystem functions
- M.SIA.P16M.Mp: Crop Modelling for Risk Management
- M.Agr.0001.Mp: Exercises: Linking Models and Experimentation (bi-lingual)
Rötter, R.P., Hoffmann, M.P., Koch, M., Müller, C. (2018). Progress in modelling agricultural impacts of and adaptations to climate change. Current Opinion in Plant Biology
Rötter, R.P., M. Appiah, E. Fichtler, K.C. Kersebaum, M. Trnka, M.P Hoffmann (2018). Linking modelling and experimentation to better capture crop impacts of agroclimatic extremes - A review Field Crops Research 221, 142–156.
Rötter, R.P., et al. (2015). Use of crop simulation modelling to aid ideotype design of future cereal cultivars Journal of Experimental Botany 66, 3463-3476.
Trnka, M., Rötter, R.P., Ruiz-Ramos, M. Kersebaum, K-C., Olesen, J.E. & Semenov, M.A. (2014). Adverse weather conditions for wheat production in Europe will become more frequent with climate change. Nature Climate Change, 4, 637-643
Kassie, B.T., Van Ittersum, M.K., Hengsdijk, H., Asseng, S., Wolf, J. & Rötter, R.P. (2014). Climate-induced yield variability and yield gaps of maize (Zea mays L.) in the Central Rift Valley of Ethiopia Field Crops Research 160, 41-53.
Rötter, R.P., Höhn, J., Trnka, M., Fronzek, S. Carter, T.R. & Kahiluoto, H. (2013). Modelling shifts in agroclimate and crop cultivar response under climate change. Ecology and Evolution, 3, 4197-4214. DOI:10.1002/ece3.782
Rötter, R.P., et al. (2011). Crop–climate models need an overhaul Nature Climate Change 1, 175-177.