The CeMIS International Photo Competition 2016:
"Inequality and diversity in contemporary India (and the Indian diaspora)"
Organized by the Centre for Modern Indian Studies (CeMIS) at the University of Göttingen, Germany.
See the photos larger and with captions on our facebook page.
Cultural and social difference and inequality characterise contemporary India. Inequalities of income, education, wealth, opportunity and health are intertwined with forms of social difference and diversity, including gender, sexuality, caste, and religious affiliation.
This year's competition called for pictures which engaged with or illustrated inequality and/or diversity in contemporary India or the Indian diaspora. It was open to everyone over 18 years old.
Our panel of experts will shortlist up to 25 photographs for public voting.
The shortlisted photographs will be published on the CeMIS facebook page and on this website.
Voting will be open for one month.
The 10 most popular photos, based on the number of "likes" they receive on facebook, will be ranked. Prize money will be allocated as follows: First prize: 100 euro, Second: 75 euro, Third: 75 euro, Fourth-Tenth: 50 euro each.
A Jury Prize to the value of 100 euro will also be awarded.
Winners will be informed via email. Upon notification, winners will be required to provide a Paypal account number to receive their prize money.
Please take the time to carefully read the "Submission Guidelines" and "Terms and Conditions" below.
Each photographer is allowed to submit a maximum of five photographs.
Submissions must include name, address, date of birth, email address, institutional affiliation (if applicable) and captions for each photograph. The photographer's name and the caption will be published alongside photos. Other personal information will only be used in conducting the contest and awarding prizes. Personal information will not be made available to third parties.
Each submitted photograph must include a caption including the date and place the photograph was taken. If they wish to, entrants may also include a description of up to 60 words offering more information-background on the scene, which may be taken into consideration in photo selections and/or published alongside the photo.
All photos must be submitted in the following format:
- No larger than 1 MB
- Photos should be 1000 pixels on the longest side. (The longest-side should not be more than twice as long as the short-side)
- 72 dpi
- JPEG, with compression no less than 7 (medium)
- Digital adjustments are only acceptable if limited to minor cleaning work (de-dusting), levels, curves, colour, saturation and contrast work.
Submissions must be received via email by Friday 22 July 2016. Please send photographs to firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions
By entering photos into the CeMIS Photo Competition 2016, the submitter agrees to the following terms and conditions:
- The submitter is the sole owner of the copyright of the submitted photos.
- The submitter has the necessary permission from the people who appear in the photo(s).
- The submitter grants CeMIS the irrevocable, non-exclusive, and royalty-free right to use all images for non-commercial purposes in relation to the activities and the promotion of the centre in any media world-wide without prior notice. If possible, the photographer will be credited whenever the photo is published. CeMIS may cut, edit, crop or arrange the entry as it sees fit and shall be entitled to sub-license such rights to third-parties. Should photos be used for commercial publications, this will only be done with prior written consent from the photographer.
- Submitted photo files must fit the specifications listed in the submission guidelines.
- The submitter must be 18 years or older.
- Winners will be informed via email. Upon notification, winners will be required to provide a Paypal account number to receive their prize money.
- If the photo is selected for print exhibition, the photographer will be requested to provide a higher quality version to be printed in large format.
Questions and submissions should be directed to email@example.com
We are listed with Photo Contest Insider
We are listed on Photo Contest GURU - Photography Competitions Directory
We are listed on photocompete.com