P3: Rotation and Activity
M stars have strong magnetic fields. The understanding of this activity is crucial to the understanding of the prevailing physics and could be used to get better RV measurements due to interference between activity and RV signals. Particularly stellar activity affects the study of stars and planets.
- Understanding of stellar activity and properties
- Identification of activity indicators and spectral time series
- Analysis of the relation between RV and activity
- RV Challenge (for Project P5)
- Development of a strategy for activity correction
- Spectral study of chromospheric line profiles and variability
- We analyse the activity indicators He I, Hα, Na, ... and their temporal behavior using different techniques like DFT, periodogram/wavelets.