Sublet your room
The Göttingen housing market, like many German university towns, has a low housing supply and rising prices. International students and doctoral candidates are particularly affected by this, and could use our support.
If you have a room available to rent, we would be pleased to forward your offers to international students and doctoral students looking for accommodation.
Fill out our quick and easy form to sublet your room. Should you change your mind, you are not obligated to sign a contract.
We will also be happy to assist you in filling out the forms. Please feel free to contact us directly.
- We will pass on your offer to international applicants looking for a flat. An automatic email message will be sent to you when we forward your offer. The person will then contact you (usually by email).
- You can work directly with the individual to see if it is a good fit and whether you will be able to work out a formal agreement. If not, we will forward your offer to other accommodation seekers.
- The decision about the final subletting will be made by you. The University of Göttingen assumes no liability for this.
- Please keep us informed if your accommodation offer has changed, if you have signed a rental agreement, if you have signed over the accommodation to someone else or if it is otherwise no longer available.
- The place and time of the handing over of the keys is to be arranged with the student. If you are not there when the student arrives, your flatmates, family members or friends may be able to help you.
- The tenancy agreement will be drawn up by you. You can find templates for this online, for example at the German Tenants' Association (Deutschen Mieterverein). Please note that the tenancy agreement must be drawn up in German in order to be legally valid. An English translation may be attached to the contract.
- Please note: Subleases require the consent of the flat owner/landlord.
- The confirmation of the landlord, which tenants need to register with the Einwohnermeldeamt of the city of Göttingen, can be found here as an example.
- It is advisable to arrange a deposit, as it provides security for both parties.
- We recommend to discuss your plans for subletting with your flatmates.
The International Office
Mondays 10-12 h
Accommodation service for international students
Phone: 0551 39-21790
Accommodation service for international exchange students
Phone: 0551 39-21338