Rehling, Peter, Prof. Dr.
Professor, Director of the Dept. of Cellular Biochemistry
- 1996 Dr. rer. nat. (Biology), University of Bochum
- 1996 - 1998 Postdoctoral fellow (Laboratory of W.-H. Kunau, Bochum)
- 1998 - 2000 Postdoctoral fellow (S.D. Emr, HHMI, University of California San Diego, USA)
- 2000 - 2004 Research Group leader at the Institute for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Freiburg
- 2003 Habilitation (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), University of Freiburg
- 2004 - 2007 Assistant Professor Institute for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Freiburg
- Since 2007 Professor of Biochemistry and Director of the Dept. of Cellular Biochemistry University of Göttingen
- Since 2010 Group associated with the Max-Planck-Institute for Biophysical Chemistry
Major Research Interests
We are interested in understanding the molecular mechanisms by which proteins are transported across the mitochondrial membranes and to find out how multi-protein complexes in the inner membrane (TIM complexes; translocation machineries of the inner membrane) mediate this task. In another aspect of our work we address how translation of mitochondrial-encoded proteins on organellar ribosomes is regulated. The analysis of the principles of the biogenesis of mitochondrial proteins and protein complexes is of central importance for our understanding of the molecular basis of human mitochondrial disorders. In this context we analyze the molecular pathology of a number of human disease models utilizing mice models, knock out cell lines, and iPSC-derived cardiomyocytes. Our analyses aim to understand how mitochondrial functions are integrated into the cellular context.
Homepage Department/Research Group
- Richter F, Dennerlein S, Nikolov M, Jans DC, Naumenko N, Aich A, MacVicar T, Linden A, Jakobs S, Urlaub H, Langer T, Rehling P (2019) ROMO1 is a constituent of the human presequence translocase required for YME1L protease import. J Cell Biol 218: 598-614
- Schendzielorz AB, Bagosewski P, Naumenko N, Gomkale R, Schulz C, Guiard B, Chacinska A, Rehling P (2018) Motor-recruitment to the TIM23 channel’s lateral gate restricts polypeptide release into the mitochondrial inner membrane. Nature comm. (In press)
- Naumenko N, Morgenstern M, Rucktäschel R, Warscheid B, Rehling P (2017) INA complex liaises the F1Fo-ATP synthase membrane motor modules. Nature comm. 8:1237
- Richter-Dennerlein R, Oeljeklaus S, Lorenzi I, Ronsör C, Bareth B, Schendzielorz AB, Wang C, Warscheid B, Rehling P*, Dennerlein S (2016) Mitochondrial protein synthesis adapts to influx of nuclear-encoded protein. CELL 67: 471-483 (*corresponding and lead author)
- Richter-Dennerlein R, Dennerlein S, Rehling P (2015) Integrating mitochondrial translation into the cellular context. Nature Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 16: 586-592.
- Dudek J, Cheng I Chowdhury A, Wotnzy K, Balleininger M, Reinhold R, Grunau S, Callegari S, Toischer K, Wanders RJA, Hasenfuß G, Guan K, Brügger B, Guan K, Rehling P (2016) Cardiac-specific Succinate Dehydrogenase Deficiency in Barth Syndrome. EMBO Mol. Med. 8: 139-154
- Schulz C, Rehling P (2014) Remodeling of the active presequence translocase drives motor-dependent mitochondrial protein translocation. Nature Commun. 10: 5:4349.
- Mick D.U, Dennerlein S, Wiese H, Reinhold R, Pacheu-Grau D, Lorenzi I, Sasarman F, Weraarpachai W, Shoubridge EA, Warscheid B, Rehling P (2012) MITRAC links mitochondrial protein translocation to respiratory-chain assembly and translational regulation. CELL 151: 1528-1541.