Applying for Residence/Work Permit

Foreign non-EU nationals who intend to stay longer than 3 months in Germany must also apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners' Office (Ausländerbehörde) in the city of Göttingen. If you live outside of the city limits, you will apply at the Foreigners' Office at the Göttingen county offices, which is located across the street from the city offices.

Depending upon the purpose of stay and thus your type of visa, the residence permit allows you either to study, work or stay for business or tourist purposes.

Please note!
The application or extension of your residence permit at the Foreigners' Office is possible by appointment only. In order to obtain an appointment, please contact the person responsible for your case (assigned by the first letter of your last name) by phone or by email to arrange an appointment. This process can take a month or longer, so please plan ahead when you need to extend your residence permit. The Welcome Centre can provide you with contact details, or the information is available on the website.

Required Documents:

  • Registration confirmation (Meldebescheinigung) at the Registration Office
  • completed application form for a residence permit (available at the Foreigners' Office or Welcome Centre)
  • passport and copy of the first page, and the visa or a copy of your entry stamp if you did not require a visa
  • one biometric passport photo (machines available at the City hall, in the train station and on central campus)
  • a copy of the employment contract, hosting agreement or certificate of scholarship stating the monthly salary or grant
  • copy of rental contract / lease
  • a copy of the proof of adequate health insurance
  • and, if your family is going to stay with you in Göttingen: certified marriage certificate / birth certificates, Göttingen school enrollment documentation.