Place of Birth
• PhD in Agricultural Economics and Rural Development, University of Goettingen, Germany, October 2015-July 2018
Dissertation: Technology Adoption, Productivity, Efficiency, and Risk Exposure in the Ethiopian Small Farm Sector.
• MA, Development Studies, Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia, August 2010-June 2012
• BA, Economics, Addis Ababa University, September 2004-August 2007
• Junior Fellow, The World Bank, Washington DC, July 2014-May 2015
• Field Coordinator, The World Bank, Addis Ababa, March 2014-June 2014
• Research Assistant, Ethiopian Development Research Institute (EDRI), August 2008-April 2014
• Lecturer, Agricultural Economics Unit, College of Agriculture, Addis Ababa University, November 2012-February 2014
• STATA, CSPro, Microsoft Office, SPSS and Mendeley Desktop.
• Applied microeconometrics and household survey data management.
• Designing randomized control trials.
• Questionnaire design, piloting, and survey coordination.
• Developing social accounting matrix database, and a training on GAMS for CGE analysis.
• Developing price and productivity indices.
• Abro, Z. A., Jaleta, M. and Teklewold, T. (2018). Does intensive tillage enhance productivity and reduce risk exposure? Panel data evidence from smallholders’ agriculture in Ethiopia. Journal of agricultural Economics. doi:10.1111/1477-9552.12262.
• Abro, Z. A., Jaleta, M. and Qaim, M. (2017). Yield effects of rust-resistant wheat varieties in Ethiopia. Food Security, 9 (6), 1343–1357.
• Abro, Z. A., Alamirew, B. and Hanjra, M.A. (2014). Policies for agricultural productivity growth and poverty reduction in rural Ethiopia. World Development, 59, 461–474.
• Hanjra, M.A., Zafar, M. I., Batool, Z.,Nawaz, N., Maan, A. A., Ayalew, Zewdu, Alamirew, Bamlaku (2013). Gender mainstreaming for food security and poverty reduction programs in Asia and Africa, in Hanjra (ed), Global Food Security: Emerging Issues and Economic Implications, Nova Publishers, New York.
• Tefera, B., Fantaw, F. and Abro, Z. A. (2012). Implications of oil price shocks and subsidizing oil prices to the Ethiopian economy: a computable general equilibrium (CGE) analysis. EDRI Working Paper 008. Addis Ababa: Ethiopian Development Research Institute (EDRI).
Other key reports
• Abro, Z. A. (forthcoming). Documentation of the 2015/16 Social Accounting Matrix database for Ethiopia. Ethiopian Development Research Institute (EDRI). (with Tilaye, A., Bekele, F.).
• Abro, Z. A. (2015c). Survey protocol for the management of Women’s Agricultural Marketing Leaders Network (WALN) midline Survey. A mimeo. The World Bank.
• Abro, Z. A. (2015b). Oaxaca Blinder decomposition analysis of agricultural productivity gap between female, male and jointly managed plots: the forgone GDP in the Ugandan agriculture. A mimeo. The World Bank.
• Abro, Z. A. (2015a). Ethiopia - Women agribusiness leaders network impact evaluation: baseline survey report. Washington, D.C.: The World Bank. (With Ketema, T. A., Bastian, G., Gras, Ombeline M. D., Manchester, K. C., Carranza, E.).
• Research Grants for Doctoral Candidates and Young Academics and Scientists for 2014/15. German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
• Junior African Research Fellowship 2014-2015. The World Bank.
• Competitive Small Research Grant 2011. Ethiopian Strategy Support Program II of the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) and Ethiopian Development Research Institute (EDRI).
• (Forthcoming) International Conference of Agricultural Economists (ICAE), which will be held in July 28-August 2 2018 in Vancouver, Canada.
• XV EAAE Congress: Towards Sustainable Agri-Food Systems: Balancing between Markets and Society, 29 August-1 September 2017, Parma, Italy.
• GlobalFood Symposium 2017, 28-29 April 2017 in Goettingen, Germany.
• Centre for the Study of African Economies Conference 2014: Economic Development in Africa, 22-24 March 2014. Oxford, UK.
• Eighth International Conference on the Ethiopian Economy, Ethiopian Economics Association, 24–26 June 2010. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Place of Birth