The following information regarding transferring credits from the MSc programme of mathematics to the PhD programme of mathematics were approved by the mathematics study board on the 03.02.2021 and by the mathematics examination board on the 26.03.2021.
During the PhD programme, 30 credit points (abbreviated C) have to be acquired and have to be proven when registering for the doctoral examination. These include, for example, participation in scientific colloquia and seminars as well as participation in an external scientific symposium in the research field. Further information can be found in the module directory (Modulverzeichnis) for the PhD programme "Mathematical Sciences", see here.
This is a short overview:
1. Research programme: 6 C
- 3 C for seminars or colloquia, especially successfull participation in master's seminars of 2 WLH (weekly lecture hours)
- 3 C for the presentation of research results as a talk or poster on a subject-specific conference outside Göttingen in the field of the doctoral research project.
Conferences with a scientific programme of 30 h plus own talk or poster presentaion count as 3 C. The scientific programme can be achieved by attending different conferences and summarizing the scientific programme hours to give a total of 30h.
2. Study programme: 12 C
- Master lectures of 4 WLH and 2 WLH of exercises including the successful completion of the module pre-examination (exercises) and examination count as 9 C. These can be split between modules listed in the doctoral programme regulations in the proportion of 6 C plus 3 C.
- Master lectures with 2 WLH and 2 WLH of exercises/accompanying seminars including the successful completion of the module examination count as 6 C. The same holds for master lectures of 4 WLH (without exercises) including the successful completion of the module examination. These can be split between modules listed in the doctoral programme regulations in the proportion of 3 C plus 3 C.
- Successfully completed master seminars or master lectures of 2 WLH count as 3 C. Two successfully completed master seminars together account for 6 C - doctoral studies module.
- Alternatively, 3 C can be achieved once in the area "study programme" for the tutoring courses of (or being an assistant for) courses of the mathematics teaching unit of the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science. A proof of having tutored an exercise group (2 SWS) in a mathematics module or of having assisted a mathematics lecture is sufficient for this.
- A minimum of 12 C of successfully completed items from the above list is required.
3. Successfully participating in at least 3 Oberseminars (advanced seminars): 9 C
- PhD students must successfully participate in at least 3 Oberseminars (advanced seminars) and present their research progress. 3 C will be awarded for each successfully completed Oberseminar, these 3 C may also be awarded for successful participation and presentations during comparable seminars or workshops of the Graduate School or similar occasions.
4. Key competencies: 3 C
- These credits are awarded for tutoring courses of (or being an assistant for) courses of the mathematics teaching unit of the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science. A proof of having tutored an exercise group (2 SWS) in a mathematics module or of having assisted a mathematics lecture is sufficient for this. Alternatively, these courses can be chosen.
Good scientific practice
Within the first year of the PhD programme, a course on "good scientific practice" should be completed. The minimum requirement for this is proof of participation in one event of this type. If PhD students participate in a course on this (and, if applicable, other topics) with a student workload of at least 90 hours, credits for the key competencies area can also be earned by certifying successful participation in this course.
In principle, the examination and study regulations of the Master’s degree programme in Mathematics apply to all examinations incl. pre-examination from the Master’s programme taken within the PhD programme.
Please never forget to obtain a "Schein" (certificate) when completing these achievements.