Business Administration (B.Sc.)
Subject: Business Administration (B.Sc.)
Degree: Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)
Standard period of study: 6 semesters
Start of programme: winter and summer semester
Language of the programme: German
Admission to the summer semester 2018:
- 1st subject semester: limited admission (application to the University)
- 2nd to 6th subject semester: limited admission (application to the University)
- International applicants (non-EU): limited admission (application to International Student Office)
The Bachelor's programme in Business Administration will procure an excellent general and specialised professional qualification on the one hand and help build the academic basis to acquire a consecutive degree within the framework of a Master's programme. Students will be given the opportunity to specialise in one of the following subjects, which will be noted on the transcript:
- Finance, Accounting and Taxes
- Marketing and Channel Management
The entire course is finished when a total of 180 credits have been earned.
Prerequisites for the successful completion of a Bachelor's programme in Business Administration are a sound knowledge of the English language (and for international students also of the German language), Mathematics and Computer Sciences. Students with limited knowledge of English (and/or German), Mathematics or Information and Communication Systems are recommended to educate themselves before the commencement of the Bachelor's programme. The Faculty of Economic Sciences also offers a precourse in Mathematics to prepare new students for the following modules in Mathematics.
The Bachelor's programme in Business Administration is divided into the orientation phase (1st and 2nd semesters) and the in-depth and specialization phase (3rd to 6th semester).
In the orientation phase (1st and 2nd semesters) students acquire knowledge of the basic issues and approaches to solutions of the economic sciences as well as of several important neighbouring disciplines. In addition to knowledge in business and economics, special knowledge in dealing with information and communication systems is acquired, as well as knowledge in the area of the relevant mathematical and statistical methods and law.
The in-depth and specialization studies (3rd to 6th semesters) serve to complete the basic education in business (business in-depth studies). Students may additionally direct their studies towards their own individual interests and occupational desires. The areas within which modules can be selected comprise business specialization, economic in-depth knowledge and the areas 'Economic Foreign languages' and 'Electives'. The offered modules in the individual areas enable the students to acquire basic key qualifications for a graduate course of study or practical occupational skills.
Admission to the Bachelor's programme in Business Administration is restricted. Students can apply and be enrolled in both the summer and winter semesters.
What we expect from you:
- Motivation and a will to achieve
- Interest in entrepreneurial or macroeconomic issues
- Analytical thinking faculties as well as an interest in and ability to deal with mathematical methods of presentation
- Proficiency in German, a good or at least working knowledge of the English language
As a graduate with a bachelor degree, you will have career opportunities in a multitude of professions. Thanks to your broad and solid basic education in all sub-disciplines of business administration, a large range of career opportunities will await you, irrespective of which area of specialisation you choose. As a generalist, you can find a job in the following sectors:
- Management positions, consulting
- Staff departments for business administration at large corporations
- Governmental authorities and associations
- There is always the option of starting up one's own company as well.
The specialisation options, moreover, can additionally boost your career prospects:
Specialisation in finance, accounting and taxes
- Accounting and taxes, controlling
- Finance and risk management, auditing and tax consultancy
- Banks, insurance and other financial service providers
Specialisation in marketing and channel management
- Marketing, public relations (PR)
- Sales, purchasing, logistics and planning
- Trade, market research, logistics services
Specialisation in management
- Production, controlling, organisation, human resource management
- Purchasing, logistics and planning, logistics services
Students can follow up their bachelor degree with further studies like enrolling in a master's degree programme in Germany or abroad. Graduates with a bachelor degree with a good grade can apply to Göttingen and be admitted to one of the advanced, four-semester master's degree programmes that can be selected in Finance, Accounting and Taxes; Management; Marketing and Channel Management; Taxation; and Applied Statistics.