MS Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of California, Davis
MS International Agricultural Development, University of California, Davis
BS Environmental Studies, Utah State University
08/2007 – 06/2009 Graduate Student Researcher at the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of California, Davis
Thesis: Water and Poverty Linkages in Agricultural Settings: São Francisco River Basin, Brazil
06/2009 – 01/2010 Agricultural Economist at the Economic Research Service of US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC
06/2002-06/2007 Environmental Scientist at US Environmental Protection Agency, San Francisco, CA and Washington, DC
08/2006-12/2006 Research Assistant at UN Food and Agricultural Organization, Rome, Italy
Topic of Dissertation
Social Services Expenditures, Agricultural Labor Productivity, and Income in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Shahla, S., S. Rosen, and S. Allen. (2011). “Global Food Situation and Unresolved and Emerging Issues.” Chapter in World Soil Resources and Food Security, eds. Lal, R. and B.A. Stewart. CRC Press: Danvers.
• Kemp-Benedict, E., Cook, S., Allen, S. L., Vosti, S., Lemoalle, J., Giordano,M., Ward, J. and Kaczan, D. (2011). “Connections between poverty, water and agriculture: evidence from 10 river basins”. Water International. 36 (1): 125-140.
• Allen, S. (2010). Book Review. “New Frontiers in Free Trade: Globalization’s Future and Asia’s Rising Role.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics 92: 283-284.
• Shapouri, S., S. Rosen, M. Peters, F. Baquedano, and S. Allen. (2010). Food Security Assessment, 2010-20. Outlook Report GFA-21. USDA Economic Research Service: Washington.
• Maneta, M., M. Torres, S. Vosti, W. Wallender, S. Allen, L. Bassoi, L. Bennett, R. Howitt, L.,Rodrigues, and J. Young. (2009). “Assessing agriculture-water links at the basin scale: hydrologic and economic models of the São Francisco River Basin, Brazil”, Water International 34(1): 88-103.
• Faures, J.M. and Santini, G. (eds). (2008). Water and the Rural Poor: Interventions for Improving Livelihoods in sub-Saharan Africa. FAO: Rome.
• Vosti, S., S. Allen, and J. Young. (2008). ‘Characterizing Agriculture and Agricultural Change in the São Francisco River Basin, Brazil.’
Allen, S. and S.A. Vosti. (2007). ‘Determining the Links between Agricultural Water Availability and Rural Poverty: A Review of the Modeling Literature.’
• Vosti, S., S. Allen, and J. Young. (2007). ‘Characterizing Population and Poverty Trends in the São Francisco River Basin, Brazil.’
• World Water Week (August 2009). “Water and Poverty Linkages in Agricultural Settings.” Stockholm, Sweden.
• Hemispheric Institute of the Americas. (October 2008). “Possibilities of Poverty Alleviation through Agriculture Intensification and Water Management.” Davis, California.
• UN International Poverty Centre and Ministry of National Integration. (August 2008). “Determinants of Rural Poverty.”
• Brasília, Brazil.International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage, Task Force on Water and Poverty. (September 2007). “Determining Water/Poverty Links and Intervention Analysis: The São Francisco River Basin.” Sacramento, California.
• UN Food and Agriculture Organization. (December 2006). “Water and Rural Livelihoods.” Rome, Italy.
Back to Homepage of the Chair: http://www.uni-goettingen.de/de/42360.html