MS Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of California, Davis
MS International Agricultural Development, University of California, Davis
BS Environmental Studies, Utah State University
08/2007 – 06/2009 Graduate Student Researcher at the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of California, Davis
Thesis: Water and Poverty Linkages in Agricultural Settings: São Francisco River Basin, Brazil
06/2009 – 01/2010 Agricultural Economist at the Economic Research Service of US Department of Agriculture, Washington, DC
06/2002-06/2007 Environmental Scientist at US Environmental Protection Agency, San Francisco, CA and Washington, DC
08/2006-12/2006 Research Assistant at UN Food and Agricultural Organization, Rome, Italy
Topic of Dissertation
Social Services Expenditures, Agricultural Labor Productivity, and Income in Sub-Saharan Africa
• Shahla, S., S. Rosen, and S. Allen. (2011). “Global Food Situation and Unresolved and Emerging Issues.” Chapter in World Soil Resources and Food Security, eds. Lal, R. and B.A. Stewart. CRC Press: Danvers.
• Kemp-Benedict, E., Cook, S., Allen, S. L., Vosti, S., Lemoalle, J., Giordano,M., Ward, J. and Kaczan, D. (2011). “Connections between poverty, water and agriculture: evidence from 10 river basins”. Water International. 36 (1): 125-140.
• Allen, S. (2010). Book Review. “New Frontiers in Free Trade: Globalization’s Future and Asia’s Rising Role.” American Journal of Agricultural Economics 92: 283-284.
• Shapouri, S., S. Rosen, M. Peters, F. Baquedano, and S. Allen. (2010). Food Security Assessment, 2010-20. Outlook Report GFA-21. USDA Economic Research Service: Washington.
• Maneta, M., M. Torres, S. Vosti, W. Wallender, S. Allen, L. Bassoi, L. Bennett, R. Howitt, L.,Rodrigues, and J. Young. (2009). “Assessing agriculture-water links at the basin scale: hydrologic and economic models of the São Francisco River Basin, Brazil”, Water International 34(1): 88-103.
• Faures, J.M. and Santini, G. (eds). (2008). Water and the Rural Poor: Interventions for Improving Livelihoods in sub-Saharan Africa. FAO: Rome.
• Vosti, S., S. Allen, and J. Young. (2008). ‘Characterizing Agriculture and Agricultural Change in the São Francisco River Basin, Brazil.’
• Allen, S. and S.A. Vosti. (2007). ‘Determining the Links between Agricultural Water Availability and Rural Poverty: A Review of the Modeling Literature.’
• Vosti, S., S. Allen, and J. Young. (2007). ‘Characterizing Population and Poverty Trends in the São Francisco River Basin, Brazil.’
• World Water Week (August 2009). “Water and Poverty Linkages in Agricultural Settings.” Stockholm, Sweden.
• Hemispheric Institute of the Americas. (October 2008). “Possibilities of Poverty Alleviation through Agriculture Intensification and Water Management.” Davis, California.
• UN International Poverty Centre and Ministry of National Integration. (August 2008). “Determinants of Rural Poverty.”
• Brasília, Brazil. International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage, Task Force on Water and Poverty. (September 2007). “Determining Water/Poverty Links and Intervention Analysis: The São Francisco River Basin.” Sacramento, California.
• UN Food and Agriculture Organization. (December 2006). “Water and Rural Livelihoods.” Rome, Italy.
Back to Homepage of the Chair: http://www.uni-goettingen.de/de/42360.html