EPOS: Required application documents
Which documents do I have to submit?
- 1. Online application form: After having filled out the form, send it by clicking on the send button at the end of the form. Please note that by sending this document you certify that the statements you have made in this application are complete and true.
- 2. University degree certificate: Proof of degree completion and credits earned during your studies (typically degree certificate + transcript of records)
- 3. Transcript of records: If your university degree certificate does not list all courses, you can upload a transcript of records additionally. This shows all your passed courses (incl. credits,) and maybe your average grade. If your transcript of records is not available in German or English, an official German or English translation is required.
The university degree certificate and the transcript of records must include either
- an electronic verification key/code or
- a notarized copy of this documents with an official stamp and signature of the registrar's office (a copy without notarization is insufficient.)
Note: To verify your eligibility for the master's programme, we must be able to confirm that you have completed sufficient number of courses in the areas of economics (for example micro- and macroeconomics, development or agricultural economics, etc.) and quantitative methods like for example mathematics, econometrics and statistics. If your bachelor's thesis is relevant, you should also include this for consideration.
Courses completed abroad:
If your transcript is not in German or English, it must be translated to either German or English by an official translator that also notarizes the translation.
If your graduate certificate and diploma do not include course titles and ECTS credits of your completed courses, please include an official transcript or proof of credits from your registrar's office (if your university uses the credit system). Please don't forget to also include information from your first semesters of study, which may not be included on your official certificate.
Please note that a notarized copy of these docouments must be provided at the beginning of your studies (once you start your studies in Göttingen), otherwise matriculation will be withdrawn.
- 4. Resume/CV: Should be written in English and outline your academic, professional, and other relevant experience to date (such as volunteering activities). Please use the sample europass form at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu with current date and a signature.
- 5. Letter of motivation: A written statement (max. 2 pages), which outlines your motivation and interest in the development field and this master's programme in particular. If you are applying for more than one EPOS programme, please specify your priority listing in the letter of motivation.
- 6. Verification of English language proficiency, if the native language of the applicant is not English.
Accepted language verification
- a) Internet-based Test: "Test of English as a Foreign Language" (new internet based TOEFL): at least 95 points
- b) Paper-based Test: "Test of English as a Foreign Language" (TOEFL PBT): at least 577 points
- c) IELTS Academic ("International English Language Testing System"): at least volume 7 with no section below 6
- d) Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English: at least grade "A"
- e) Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English: at least grade "C"
- f) CEF ("Common European Framework"): at least proof of “C1” (comparable to "Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE)" level 4)
- g) UNIcert: at least level III
- h) At least two years of study or work abroad in an English-speaking country during the last three years before receipt of admission application
- i) Successful completion of a programme of study held entirely in the English language
The successful completion of the language proficiency tests (a-g) may not be older than three years at the moment of application. The codes of the department for the "Test of English as a Foreign Language" are: 84 for "Economics" and 82 for "Business and Commerce". The code for the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen is 4468.
Please note: Unfortunately, we are unable to accept any other certification that is not listed above. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, we do allow, however, language certificates to be handed in until March 1st 2021. Please send your language certificate to email@example.com. You can also hand in „TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition“ and „IELTS Indicator“ language certificates. The above-mentioned minimum requirements of the "TOEFL iBT" and "IELTS" certificates must be met.
- 7. APS certification for applicants from China and Vietnam.
- 8. Official course descriptions: Documents that outline the content and expectations of courses you completed (e.g. excerpts from a course handbook) or a syllabus, which can validate the relevance of your previous studies (see admissions requirements and selection process) plus, if applicable, your bachelor's thesis, if it is relevant to fulfill the admission criteria. If the course description is not in English, please attach a translation (does not have to be notarized) alongside the original course description.
- 9. Certificates of Employment: Certicate(s) of employment that include the exact position and period of employment. At least two years of total employment are required.
- 10. Employer's letter of reference: A letter of reference from your employer(s), ideally guaranteeing re-employment after completion of the postgraduate course in Germany. If this is already included in your certificate of employment, an additional letter is not necessary.
- 11. Academic letter of reference: A letter of reference from a professor or any other faculty from your undergraduate programme.
- 12. Signed DAAD EPOS application form (downloadable from the DAAD website).
Please also always refer to the DAAD website for details on the application documents.