International DAAD Alumniseminar and Tropentag 2019
DAAD Alumniseminar "Scientific Debating about Sustainable Agriculture – Biodiversity protection supported by breeding, biological plant protection and mixed crop cultivation"September 10th - 17th, in Goettingen, Germany
followed by the participation in the
September 18th - 21st, in Kassel, Germany
It is the most important conference on tropical and subtropical agriculture and natural resource management.
The loss of biodiversity through direct and indirect human causes reduces adaptability to environmental changes and ecosystem services. Agriculture increasingly contributes to the loss of diversity through intensification of crop production and mechanisation of animal husbandry. The constant demand for increased yields of food and feed requires the provision of high-quality plant varieties up to efficient land use systems. In the past, increased yields in plant production were largely due to advances in breeding. In addition, fertilization, crop protection and new agricultural techniques contributed to increasing productivity.
The current social debate on the loss of biodiversity also calls for agricultural research and innovation through systemic approaches to optimise environmental compatibility and yield capacity. Conflicts of interest and complexity lead to scientifically controversial debates.
The Alumni seminar aims at training and debating in three selected agricultural topics (1) breeding, (2) biological plant protection and (3) mixed crop cultivation, which can counteract the loss of biodiversity. They fit thematically to the conference title "Filling gaps and removing traps for sustainable resource development".
The seminar and the conference visit are offered by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) in the framework of the program Alumni Special Projects. The International DAAD Alumni Seminar is organised and hosted by the University of Goettingen. The costs will be mainly covered by funds from the DAAD provided by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
The Alumni seminar aimed to facilitate networking between the participants and with scientists and international students. By means of presentations and debating fora, visits of regional agricultural enterprises, alumni got in touch with institutions and organizations involved in the agricultural sector. The had furthermore the opportunity to develop and exchange ideas with renowned experts during the seminar.
The Alumni seminar was hosted by the Centre of Biodiversity and Sustainable Land Use (CBL), Tropical and Subtropical Agriculture and Forestry, University of Goettingen. It is offered by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and the costs will be mainly covered by funds from the DAAD provided by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
Eligibility criteria for participation
This seminar targets Alumni of German universities
• from countries, listed on the DAC list of ‘developing’ countries,
• who carried out research or studied in Germany for at least 3 months and
• who are currently living and working in their home countries.
You should have
(1) a proven background in academic fields relevant to the topics of (organic) agriculture, organic production, handling, transport, processing, marketing, certification, accreditation or legislation in the field of organic agriculture, rural development, natural resource management, environment, forestry
(2) professional experience and personal interest in one of the following areas: research, education, NGOs, government agencies, policy making, project development, local communities, and related stakeholders
(3) the requirements to act as a potential multiplier who will present the seminar results in your home country and thus disseminate the acquired knowledge as well as develop ideas and projects for regional implementation
(4) adequate language proficiency which is essential to actively participate in the workshops and discussions as the seminar will be held in English
• International return ticket from and to airport in Germany
(lowest possible economy class airfare)
• Train tickets (2nd class): Airport to venue – preferably Rail & Fly
• Transport to and from company visits
• Accommodation and meals during the stay in Goettingen
• Travel health insurance (max. 30 Euro) and visa costs
• Transport from Goettingen to Tropentag 2019 in Kassel
• Transport from the hotel in Kassel to the departure airport
• Entrance fees at the Conference in Kassel
• Accommodation and partial living expenses during the stay in Kassel
Please note: All other costs, such as transport costs from participants’ home town to their home airport or travel costs for visa application in the home country have to be borne by the participants.
Please keep in mind that living expenses are only covered partly during your stay in Kassel.
September 10th, 2019: Arrival at the venue in Goettingen
September 21st, 2019: Departure from Kassel
PLEASE FILL IN THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM BELOW latest by May 31st, 2019 midnight.
If you completed the form by filling in all mandatory fields and pressed the bottom you receive immediately a CONFIRMATION ON THE SAME WEBPAGE. If the webpage is not showing your entries, please write to email@example.com.
In addition to the online application form, please send A SINGLE PDF with a short CV, photograph and relevant documentation of alumnus/a status.to firstname.lastname@example.org latest by May, 31st..
The PDF-document should be named ‘Last name_First name_country’ (e.g. Pfeiffer_Simone_Germany).
If you have already registered for Tropentag 2019 please let us know. This does not affect your eligibility as participant of the alumni seminar. In general, the DAAD is responsible for the registration for Tropentag 2019.
Application Form International DAAD Alumni Seminar to Tropentag 2019