In publica commoda

Enrolment into a higher semester (open admission programmes)

This description applies to the enrolment process for all students who are looking to change over to a degree programme with open admission at Göttingen University into a higher subject semester.
Scan your documents – in particular your university entrance qualification certificate (e.g. German Abitur), to enable you to upload these to the portal. The data formats pdf, jpg, tiff, doc and docx will be accepted.
During the enrollment process we will send updates and information to your registered mail account.

Certificate of Transferable Credits
Please contact the appropriate subject-specific academic advisory service in the faculties in order to receive your Certificate of Transferable Credits.

Applicants Already Enrolled at the University of Göttingen
You can apply for a change of programme by using the designated form: Application for change of course of studies (subject change). You need to be re-registered before you apply for a change of programme. Please upload your Certificate of Transferable Credits as part of your application. (Paragraphs 3 through 5 below are not applicable for you.)

Applicants Not Yet Enrolled at the University of Göttingen
Enter your personal data and specify your desired degree programme on the application and enrolment portal. Upload the documents required for enrolment, then submit your application. You can subsequently complete your online enrolment by entering additional data.

Which documents do I need for enrolment?

  • Certificate of transferable credits for completed examination prerequisites and examination results from the authority responsible in Göttingen for the subject.
  • University entrance qualification (e.g. Abitur certificate / school leaving certificate)
  • Insurance certificate for students from a public health insurance provider (AOK, BEK, DAK, etc.). Students covered by private health insurance must obtain a certificate from any public health insurance provider stating that they are exempt from statutory health insurance.

Further documents are only required for enrolment if you

  • have already studied in Germany, proof of study periods for each German higher education institution (e.g. University)
  • have already successfully completed a degree programme at a German higher education institution, a simple copy of the degree certificate
  • want to enrol in a programme that requires proof of language proficiency
  • want to enrol in the Magister Theologiae prorgamme, a current proof of belonging to a Protestant Church
  • have no German university entrance qualification, evidence of sufficient German language proficiency (DSH examination)

Please note: certificates in any language other than German or English must be submitted submitted both in the original and in translation.

Remittance of semester fees
Please remit the semester fees to the University. Your enrolment can only be finalised after your payment has been received. Please enter your registration number and name on the remittance slip!

Payment by transfer

Please transfer the semester fees in due time to the university bank account.

Additional bank fees that may apply for international (non-eu) bank transfers must be covered by the applicant. Please choose the option OUR (you pay for all transfer charges) in case you send the money via SWIFT.

Payee („Empfänger”): Georg-August-Universität Göttingen

Account with Nord/LB Hannover
Friedrichswall 10
30159 Hannover

IBAN DE57 2505 0000 0199 9537 04 BIC/SWIFT-Code NOLA DE 2H

Reference („Verwendungszweck”)
Please enter the following information into the "reference" field:

  • Your application number
  • Your surname and given name
  • The semester of reference (e.g. winter semester 20xy)

Confirmation by the University
Confirmation will subsequently be sent to you automatically.

Note: For admission into English and Romance language programmes you need to fulfil specific language requirements.