Vice-President for Research
Professor Bernhard Brümmer
Professor Bernhard Brümmer has been the University of Göttingen's Vice-President for Research since April 2021. The University Senate elected Brümmer, who holds the Chair of Agricultural Market Analysis, for a first term of two and a second term of four years - until 2027. Previously, he was the Dean of Finance of the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences for four years.
Academic and professional career
|since 2011||W3 Professorship for Agricultural Economics, University of Göttingen|
|2005 - 2011||W2 Professorship for Agricultural Economics, University of Göttingen|
|2002 - 2005||Assistant professor (‘Wissenschaftlicher Assistent’), Institute of Agricultural Economics, University of Göttingen|
|2001 - 2002||Research Associate (‘Akademischer Rat’), Institute of Agricultural Economics, University of Kiel|
|1996 - 2001||Ph.D. in agricultural economics, University of Kiel (Dr.sc.agr. summa cum laude 2001)|
|1995 - 1996||Studies in agricultural economics, Wageningen Agricultural University (European M.Sc. in Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness 1996)|
|1991 - 1996||Studies in agricultural economics, University of Kiel (Diploma in Agricultural Sciences ‚Diplom-Agraringenieur‘ 1996)|
Awards, scholarships and memberships
|2015||Offered a Chair for International Agricultural Trade and Development (W3) at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (declined)|
|2006||Offered a Chair for Agricultural Policy (W3) at the University of Hohenheim (declined)|
|2004||German Association of Agricultural Economics Award for outstanding work by a young researcher|
|2002||European Association of Agricultural Economics Award for the best article in the European Review of Agricultural Economics by a young scientist(2002)|
|2002||Kiel University Faculty of Agriculture Award for the best Ph.D. thesis|
Management and committee responsibilities
|since 2021||Vice-President for Research, University of Göttingen|
|2017 - 2021||Dean of Finance of the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences|
|Seit 2016||Review Board Member of DFG Review Board 207, Agricultural, Forestry and Veterinary Sciences|
|Seit 2016||Editorial Board of the European Review of Agricultural Economics|
|Seit 2012||Board member of the Centre for Biodiversity and Sustainable Land Use (CBL), Executive Director from 2016-2019|
|2010 - 2018||Member of the Scientific Advisory Board at the Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies (IAMO), Halle (Saale), Chair (2016 - 2018)|
- International trade in the agri-food sector - market integration, price volatility, trade costs
- Resource productivity in agri-food value chains
- Reform of the Common Agricultural Policy
- Agricultural trade and sustainable development
Top Publications (selection)
- Dalheimer, B., C. Kubitza & B. Brümmer (2022). Technical efficiency and farmland expansion: Evidence from oil palm smallholders in Indonesia. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 104: 1364-1387
- Berger, J., B. Dalheimer & B. Brümmer (2021). Effects of Variable EU Import Levies on Corn Price Volatility. Food Policy 102: 102063
- Fiankor, D-D. D., I. Flachsbarth, A. Masood & B. Brümmer (2020). Does GlobalGAP certification promote agrifood exports? European Review of Agricultural Economics 47 (1): 247-272.
- Fiankor, D-D. D., I. Martínez-Zarzoso, B. Brümmer (2019). Exports and governance: the role of private voluntary agrifood standards. Agricultural Economics 50 (3): 341-352.
- Skevas, I., G. Emvalomatis, B. Brümmer (2018). Productivity growth measurement and decomposition under a dynamic inefficiency specification: The case of German dairy farms. European Journal of Operational Research 271(1), 250-261.
- Huang, W., B. Brümmer, L. Huntsinger (2017). Technical efficiency and the impact of grassland use right leasing on livestock grazing on the Qinghai-Tibetan plateau. Land Use Policy 64, 342-352.
- Brümmer, B., O. Korn, K. Schlüßler, T.J. Jaghdani (2016). Volatility in oilseeds and vegetable oils markets: Drivers and spillovers. Journal of Agricultural Economics 67(3), 685-705.
- Huang, W., B. Brümmer, L. Huntsinger (2016). Incorporating measures of grassland productivity into efficiency estimates for livestock grazing on the Qinghai-Tibetan plateau in China. Ecological Economics 122, 1-11.
- Götz, L., T. Glauben, B. Brümmer (2013). Wheat export restrictions and domestic market effects in Russia and Ukraine during the food crisis. Food Policy 38, 214-226.
- Rao, E.J.O., B. Brümmer, M. Qaim (2012). Farmer participation in supermarket channels, production technology, and technical efficiency: The case of vegetables in Kenya. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 94(4), 891-912.
- Centre of Biodiversity and Sustainable Land Use
- Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies (IAMO)
- Chair of Agricultural Market Analysis