In publica commoda

Central Card Service

Important information about using the university identity card!

Dear employees,
You have been issued with a university identity card from the Georg-August-University Göttingen.
In this letter, you are provided with some basic information about the identity card, its func-tions and what to do when the card is lost or damaged.

1. General

The university identity card identifies you as a member of the Georg August University of Göttingen and a photograph is, therefore, added to the card.
An electronic chip is integrated into the identity card that can be assigned with a variety of functions - such as those for time management, building access and parking permits - by the Central Card Office at the University of Göttingen.
In cooperation with the Studentenwerk Göttingen, the university identity card can be used for cashless payment (electronic purse payment) in cafeterias, as well as in the University Medi-cal School – assuming that the card has been topped up with money in advance from a ter-minal installed for this purpose.

2. Use of the university identity card

Only you personally are authorised to use the university identity card; use of the card is granted for the duration of your employment at the Georg-August-University Göttingen. The university identity card loses its validity and its function(s) after the end of your term of em-ployment. The card is to be returned without being requested to the Central Card Office at the university once your term of employment has ended.
Every use of the card by a third party is considered to be a case of misuse and can lead to consequences under employment and criminal law.

3. Handling the university identity card / malfunctions

In the event of a malfunction (e.g. “red diode” lights up on a card reading device), please initially check the card for any damage. Faults may also occasionally occur as a result of other electronic cards when they are kept together or too close to each other. Should you have any questions, please contact the Central Card Office.

4. Loss or damage to the university identity card

Please immediately inform the university's Telephone Service and Centralised Failure and Alarms Management (Tel.: 39-1171) if you have lost your university identity card. The card will be suspended by the Telephone Service and Centralised Failure and Alarms Manage-ment; its functions (e.g. time management) will no longer be available. Contact the Central Card Office to receive more information on the subsequent steps that need to be taken, Tel. +49 (0)551/3912475, e-mail:

The Studentenwerk Göttingen is exclusively responsible for providing information/receiving applications for the repayment of electronic cash remaining on the card in the event of loss or damage to the university identity card.

Yours sincerely,
Your Central Card Service