Dr. rer.nat. Utz Johann PapeDoctoral Student
Chair of Development Economics / CeMIS, Prof. Dr. Sebastian Vollmer
Utz Pape is a Senior Economist in the Poverty and Equity Global Practice at the World Bank. He leads the poverty dialogue with governments based on evidence-driven analytics including poverty assessments, poverty impact studies, and Systematic Country Diagnostics. He also leads teams to design and implement lending projects to improve national statistical systems. His work experience in post-conflict countries contributes to his research agenda including the design of methodologies for improved welfare measurement specifically but not exclusively in fragile settings. He has published working papers on sampling methodologies, questionnaire design, behavioral nudges, poverty measurements, small-area estimations and a number of impact evaluations with a focus on shocks and fragile situations.
- Lange, S., Pape, U.J., Pütz P. (2021) Small Area Estimation of Poverty under Structural Change. Review of Income and Wealth
- Egger, D., Miguel, E., Warren, S.S., Shenoy, A., Collins, E., Karlan, D., Pape, U.J., et al (2021) Falling Living Standards during the COVID-19 Crisis: Quantitative Evidence from Nine Developing Countries. Science Advances, 7 (6)
- Qader, S., Lefebvre, V., Tatem, A., Pape, U.J., et al (2021) Semi-automatic mapping of pre-census enumeration areas and population sampling frames. Sci. Commun. , 8 (3)
- Vamos, E. P., U. J. Pape, V. Curcin, M. J. Harris, J. Valabhji, A. Majeed, and C. Millett. Effectiveness of the Influenza Vaccine in Preventing Admission to Hospital and Death in People with Type 2 Diabetes. CMAJ 188, no. 14 (October 4, 2016): E342–51.
- Greaves, F., A. A. Laverty, U. J. Pape, A. Ratneswaren, A. Majeed, and C. Millett. Performance of New Alternative Providers of Primary Care Services in England: An Observational Study. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 108, no. 5 (May 2015): 171–83.
- Oyebode, O., U. J. Pape, A. A. Laverty, J. T. Lee, N. Bhan, and C. Millett. Rural, Urban and Migrant Differences in Non-Communicable Disease Risk-Factors in Middle Income Countries: A Cross-Sectional Study of WHO-SAGE Data. PLOS ONE 10, no. 4 (April 7, 2015): e0122747.
- Pape, U. J., K. Huckvale, J. Car, A. Majeed, and C. Millett. Impact of ‘Stretch’ Targets for Cardiovascular Disease Management within a Local Pay-for-Performance Programme. PLOS ONE 10, no. 3 (March 26, 2015): e0119185.
- Greaves, F., A. A. Laverty, U. J. Pape, A. Ratneswaren, A. Majeed, and C. Millett. Primary Care Competition and the Effect of New Providers on Quality of Care in England. The Lancet 384 (November 19, 2014): S15.
- Mahesh, P. A., B. S. Jayaraj, S. K. Chaya, K. S. Lokesh, A. J. McKay, A. K. Prabhakar, and U. J. Pape. Variation in the Prevalence of Chronic Bronchitis among Smokers: A Cross-Sectional Study. The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease: The Official Journal of the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 18, no. 7 (July 2014): 862–69.
- Barrera, L., C. Leaper, U. J. Pape, A. Majeed, M. Blangiardo, and C. Millett. Impact of Ethnic-Specific Guidelines for Anti-Hypertensive Prescribing in Primary Care in England: A Longitudinal Study. BMC Health Services Research 14, no. 1 (February 25, 2014): 87.
- Huang, Y., L. Chavez, X. Chang, X. Wang, W. A. Pastor, J. Kang, J. A. Zepeda-Martínez, et al. Distinct Roles of the Methylcytosine Oxidases Tet1 and Tet2 in Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 111, no. 4 (January 28, 2014): 1361–66.
- Pape, U. J., C. Millett, J. T. Lee, J. Car, and A. Majeed. Disentangling Secular Trends and Policy Impacts in Health Studies: Use of Interrupted Time Series Analysis. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 106, no. 4 (April 2013): 124–29.
- Car, L. T., S. Brusamento, H. Elmoniry, M. H. M. M. T. van Velthoven, U. J. Pape, V. Welch, P. Tugwell, et al. The Uptake of Integrated Perinatal Prevention of Mother-to-Child HIV Transmission Programs in Low- and Middle-Income Countries: A Systematic Review. PLOS ONE 8, no. 3 (March 6, 2013): e56550.
- Greaves, F., U. J. Pape, H. Lee, D. M. Smith, A. Darzi, A. Majeed, and C. Millett. Patients’ Ratings of Family Physician Practices on the Internet: Usage and Associations With Conventional Measures of Quality in the English National Health Service. Journal of Medical Internet Research 14, no. 5 (October 2012).
- Benson, M. J., T. Äijö, X. Chang, J. Gagnon, U. J. Pape, V. Anantharaman, L. Aravind, et al. Heterogeneous Nuclear Ribonucleoprotein L-like (HnRNPLL) and Elongation Factor, RNA Polymerase II, 2 (ELL2) Are Regulators of MRNA Processing in Plasma Cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 109, no. 40 (October 2, 2012): 16252–57.
- Vamos, E. P., M. Harris, C. Millett, U. J. Pape, K. Khunti, V. Curcin, M. Molokhia, and A. Majeed. Association of Systolic and Diastolic Blood Pressure and All Cause Mortality in People with Newly Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes: Retrospective Cohort Study. BMJ 345 (August 30, 2012): e5567.
- Greaves, F., U. J. Pape, D. King, A. Darzi, A. Majeed, R. M. Wachter, and C. Millett. Associations between Internet-Based Patient Ratings and Conventional Surveys of Patient Experience in the English NHS: An Observational Study. BMJ Quality & Safety 21, no. 7 (July 1, 2012): 600–605.
- Greaves, F., U. J. Pape, D. King, A. Darzi, A. Majeed, R. M. Wachter, and C. Millett. Associations Between Web-Based Patient Ratings and Objective Measures of Hospital Quality. Archives of Internal Medicine 172, no. 5 (March 12, 2012): 435–36.
- Laverty, A. A., P. C. Smith, U. J. Pape, A. Mears, R. M. Wachter, and C. Millett. High-Profile Investigations Into Hospital Safety Problems In England Did Not Prompt Patients To Switch Providers. Health Affairs 31, no. 3 (March 1, 2012): 593–601.
- Millett, C., A. A. Laverty, N. Stylianou, K. Bibbins-Domingo, and U. J. Pape. Impacts of a National Strategy to Reduce Population Salt Intake in England: Serial Cross Sectional Study. PLOS ONE 7, no. 1 (January 4, 2012): e29836.
- Greaves, F., C. Millett, U. J. Pape, M. Soljak, and A. Majeed. Association between Primary Care Organisation Population Size and Quality of Commissioning in England: An Observational Study. The British Journal of General Practice : The Journal of the Royal College of General Practitioners 62, no. 594 (January 2012): e46-54.
- Pape, U. J. Embracing the Euro Crisis: German Power Politics. Journal of Public and International Affairs, 2012, 9–27.
- Vamos, E. P., U. J. Pape, A. Bottle, F. L. Hamilton, V. Curcin, A. Ng, M. Molokhia, J. Car, A. Majeed, and C. Millett. Association of Practice Size and Pay-for-Performance Incentives with the Quality of Diabetes Management in Primary Care. CMAJ : Canadian Medical Association Journal 183, no. 12 (September 6, 2011): E809–16.
- Liu, T., J. A. Ortiz, L. Taing, C. A. Meyer, B. Lee, Y. Zhang, H. Shin, et al. Cistrome: An Integrative Platform for Transcriptional Regulation Studies. Genome Biology 12, no. 8 (August 22, 2011): R83.
- Pastor, W. A., U. J. Pape, Y. Huang, H. R. Henderson, R. Lister, M. Ko, E. M. McLoughlin, et al. “Genome-Wide Mapping of 5-Hydroxymethylcytosine in Embryonic Stem Cells. Nature 473, no. 7347 (May 2011): 394–97.
- Pape, U. J. Interventions Against A Dictator. Journal of International Affairs 65, no. 1 (2011): 221–33.
- Ko, M., Y. Huang, A. M. Jankowska, U. J. Pape, M. Tahiliani, H. S. Bandukwala, J. An, et al. Impaired Hydroxylation of 5-Methylcytosine in Myeloid Cancers with Mutant TET2. Nature 468, no. 7325 (December 2010): 839–43.
- Wang, H., Q. Wang, U. J. Pape, B. Shen, J. Huang, B. Wu, and X. Li. Systematic Investigation of Global Coordination among MRNA and Protein in Cellular Society. BMC Genomics 11, no. 1 (June 9, 2010): 364.
- Pape, U. J., H. Klein, and M. Vingron. Statistical Detection of Cooperative Transcription Factors with Similarity Adjustment. Bioinformatics 25, no. 16 (August 15, 2009): 2103.
- Pape, U. J., S. Rahmann, F. Sun, and M. Vingron. Compound Poisson Approximation of the Number of Occurrences of a Position Frequency Matrix (PFM) on Both Strands. Journal of Computational Biology: A Journal of Computational Molecular Cell Biology 15, no. 6 (August 2008): 547–64.
- Toenjes, M., M. Schueler, S. Hammer, U. J. Pape, J. J. Fischer, F. Berger, M. Vingron, and S. Sperling. Prediction of Cardiac Transcription Networks Based on Molecular Data and Complex Clinical Phenotypes. Molecular BioSystems 4, no. 6 (June 2008): 589–98.
- Pape, U. J., S. Rahmann, and M. Vingron. Natural Similarity Measures between Position Frequency Matrices with an Application to Clustering. Bioinformatics 24, no. 3 (February 1, 2008): 350–57.
- Pape, U. J., S. Grossmann, S. Hammer, S. Sperling, and M. Vingron. “A New Statistical Model to Select Target Sequences Bound by Transcription Factors.” Genome Informatics. International Conference on Genome Informatics 17, no. 1 (2006): 134–40.
- Schmid, M., T. S. Davison, S. R. Henz, U. J. Pape, M. Demar, M. Vingron, B. Schölkopf, D. Weigel, and J. U. Lohmann. A Gene Expression Map of Arabidopsis Thaliana Development. Nature Genetics 37, no. 5 (May 2005): 501–6.
- Pape, U.J Measuring Poverty Rapidly Using Within-Survey Imputations World Bank Policy Research Working Paper ;No. 9530
- Khamis, M., Prinz, D., Newhouse, D.L., Palacios-Lopez, A.,Pape, U.J., Weber, M The Early Labor Market Impacts of COVID-19 in Developing Countries: Evidence from High-Frequency Phone Surveys World Bank Policy Research Working Paper ;No. 9510
- Pape, U.J., Yoshida, N., Malgioglio, S. T• Monitoring Poverty and Equity for Development Effectiveness Poverty & Equity Notes, WB ;No. 35
- Müller, A., U. J. Pape, and L. Ralston. Broken Promises: Evaluating an Incomplete Cash Transfer Program. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper ;No. 9016
- Qader, S., V. Lefebvre, A. Ninneman, K. Himelein, U. J. Pape, L. Bengtsson, A. Tatem, and T. Bird. A Novel Approach to the Automatic Designation of Pre-Defined Census Enumeration Areas and Population Sampling Frames: A Case Study in Somalia. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper ;No. 8972
- Pape, U. J., and G. I. Nunez. Collecting Robust Real-Time High Frequency Price Data in Fragile Settings. World Bank Poverty & Equity Notes, no. 12 (2019).
- Pape, U. J., and P. R. Wollburg. Estimation of Poverty in Somalia Using Innovative Methodologies. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper no 8735 (February 12, 2019): 1–62.
- Pape, U. J., and L. Parisotto. Estimating Poverty in a Fragile Context -- The High Frequency Survey in South Sudan. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper no 8722 (January 29, 2019): 1–42.
- Pape, U. J., and P. R. Wollburg. Impact of Drought on Poverty in Somalia. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, no. 8698 (2019).
- Kaplan, L., U. J. Pape, and J. Walsh. A Light-Touch Method to Improve Accurate Reporting of IDP’s Food Consumption. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, no. 8539 (2018).
- Pape, U. J., and V. Phipps. Impact of Conflict on Adolescent Girls in South Sudan. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, no. 8510 (2018).
- Lange, S., U. J. Pape, and P. Putz. Small Area Estimation of Poverty under Structural Change. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, Policy Research Working Paper Series, no. 8472 (June 12, 2018).
- Pape, U. J., and J. A. Mistiaen. Household Expenditure and Poverty Measures in 60 Minutes : A New Approach with Results from Mogadishu. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, Policy Research Working Paper Series, no. 8430 (2018).
- Varela, G. J., M. Cali, U. J. Pape, and E. Rojas. Market Integration and Poverty : Evidence from South Sudan. World Bank Policy Research Working Paper, Policy Research Working Paper Series, no. 7564 (2016).
World Bank Reports:
- Kenya Social Protection and Jobs Public Expenditure Review(forthcoming) with R. Sundaram.
- Using Micro-Data to Inform Durable Solutions for IDPs (2019).
- Angola Systematic Country Diagnostic – Creating Assets for the Poor (2018).
- Kenya Economic Update – In Search of Fiscal Space (2018) with A. Dennis.
- Kenya Poverty and Gender Assessment (2018) with C. Mejia-Mantilla.
- A Fiscal Incidence Analysis for Kenya (2018) with S. Lange.
- Kenya Economic Update – Policy Options to Advance the Big Four (2018) with A. Dennis.
- Somali Poverty and Vulnerability Assessment (2018) with W. Karamba.
- Somalia Systematic Country Diagnostic (2018) with H. Dogo and K. Carey.
- Impact of Shocks and Conflict on Poverty in South Sudan – A Poverty Assessment (2018).
- South Sudan Economic Update – Special Topic: Hyperinflation (2017) with N. Dihel.
- Somali Poverty Profile 2016 – Findings from Wave 1 of the Somali High Frequency Survey (2017).
- South Sudan: Poverty, livelihoods, and perception in a high inflation environment (2017).
- South Sudan: Reducing Poverty through Improved Agro-Logistics in a Fragile Country (2017).
- South Sudan Inclusive Growth Country Economic Memorandum – Background Papers (2017).
- Sudan IDP Profiling Preparation Report (2017).
- Revising Sudan’s System of National Accounts (2017).
- Angola Poverty and Social Impact Analysis: subsidy reform and extension of social protection program (2016).
- South Sudan Poverty Profile 2015 (2016).
- Utilizing mobile technology to innovate CAPI data collection in fragile contexts (2015) with J. Mistiaen.
- South Sudan - Youth Startup Business Grant Program: program rationale, design and implementation (2015) with N. Pontara.
- Alternative social safety nets in South Sudan: costing and impact on welfare indicators (2015) with N. Pontara.
- Welfare and Perception in South Sudan 2012 to 2014 (2015).
- The Fiscal Impact of Declining Oil Prices on South Sudan (2015) with S. Diop.
- Jobs & Livelihoods in South Sudan (2014) with P. Zacchia.
- Regional Integration Strategy for South Sudan (2014) with L. Bandiera.
- Challenges and Opportunities of High Frequency Data Collection in Fragile States (2014).
- South Sudan: Impact of a Continued Internal Conflict on Food Security and Poverty (2014).
- Kenya Economic Update – Transforming Agricultural Productivity & Linkages to Poverty Reduction (2019) by P. Chacha.
- Systematic Country Diagnostic for South Sudan (2016) by P. Arora and P. Zacchia.
- The Welfare of Syrian Refugees: Evidence from Jordan and Lebanon (2016) by P. Verme et al.
- Ethiopia Poverty Assessment (1st chapter, 2014) by R. Hill.
Books and Book Chapters:
- Hoogeveen, Johannes, and Utz J. Pape. Data Collection in Fragile Countries . Palgrave Macmillan
- Dihel, Nora, and Utz Johann Pape. “The Challenges of Macroeconomic Stabilisation and Poverty Alleviation in South Sudan.” In The Struggle of South Sudan: Challenges of Security and State Formation, edited by Luka Biong Deng Kuol and Sarah Logan. London, UK: IB Tauris, n.d.
- Pape, Utz J. “Statistics for Transcription Factor Binding Sites.” PhD Thesis, Free University of Berlin, 2008.
- Why measuring poverty impacts is more difficult than simply using score cards
- How conflict and crises exacerbate conflict in South Sudan
- More than just growth: Accelerating poverty reduction in Kenya
- A light-touch method to improve accurate reporting of IDP’s food consumption
- How skilled are refugees in Ethiopia?
- Informing rapid emergency response by phone surveys
- Taming the Tides of High Inflation in South Sudan
- How remittances help the poor but not the most vulnerable Somalis
- Measuring Poverty in 60 Minutes
- How the real-time tracking of market prices in Somalia helps us respond to drought
- Giving voice to the poor: Adding a human touch to poverty data in South Sudan
- Humaniser les chiffres de la pauvreté en donnant une voix aux pauvres : une expérience pilote au Soudan du Sud
- Dar voz a los pobres: agregar un toque humano a los datos de pobreza en Sudán del Sur
- What did we learn from real-time tracking of market prices in South Sudan?