1 PhD position
The group of Prof. Dr. Martin Suhm at the Faculty of Chemistry at the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen welcomes applications for one
in the German Research Foundation (DFG)-funded Research Training Group 2455 “BENCh – Benchmark Experiments for Numerical quantum Chemistry”. The application window will be open up to 15.10.2022. The position is remunerated with 65% E 13 TV-L (corresponding to 25.87 hours per week) with a limited contract of 3 years. The earliest starting date will be 01.01.2023.
• you hold (or are in the process of concluding) a Master’s degree in Chemistry, Physics or equivalent;
• are proficient in English;
• are willing to travel and collaborate with international partners;
• are experienced in vibrational spectroscopy and/or cold molecules;
• like the idea of developing an experimental database of new hydrate clusters to trigger theoretical advances worldwide
The Suhm group focuses on the experimental characterization of molecules and molecular aggregates at low temperatures by unique slit jet recycling Raman and FTIR spectrometers, with the goal to benchmark numerical methods for their electronic structure and nuclear motion. In the proposed project, stepwise hydration of organic molecules will be used to train and test theoretical methods for the description of the hydration process. For the general idea, see https://doi.org/10.1039/D2CP01119K.
The BENCh Research Training Group consists of a high-level research programme aiming to provide landmark experiments for quantum chemical methods benchmarking. The students under the program will benefit from a wide variety of lab techniques and collaborations for challenging experiments. For more information consult the official homepage http://bench.uni-goettingen.de.
The University of Göttingen is an equal opportunities employer and places particular emphasis on fostering career opportunities for women. Qualified women are therefore strongly encouraged to apply in fields in which they are underrepresented. The university has committed itself to being a family-friendly institution and supports their employees in balancing work and family life. The mission of the University is to employ a greater number of severely disabled persons. Applications from severely disabled persons with equivalent qualifications will be given preference.
Your application must include:
• curriculum vitae including information on posters, presentations, awards (and publications, if applicable)
• motivation letter
• certificates of studies
• certificates of language proficiency (e.g., TOEFL)
• two references (name and contact information of two senior researchers)
The documents are to be submitted by electronic form (single PDF file) to the e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org (copy to email@example.com ). The deadline for submission is 20:00 (CET) 15.10.2022, but earlier applications are welcome.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.