The Obenchain research group, in the Institute of Physical Chemistry at the University of Göttingen seeks applications for one
(65 % E13 TV-L, limited contract of 3 years, earliest starting date April 1, 2024). In this project, the PhD candidate will focus on understanding the structure and dynamics of weakly bound complexes containing molecular hydrogen. The experiments will make use of a combination of different methods, including chirped-pulse microwave spectroscopy and cavity-type microwave spectroscopy. The experiments will be benchmarked with quantum chemical calculations. The project is associated with the Research Training Group BENCh (Benchmark experiments for numerical quantum chemistry, https://www.uni-goettingen.de/en/587836.html), which offers unique training for PhD students as well as the group support from the larger project.
• You hold (or are in the process of concluding) a Master's degree in Chemistry.
• You have previous experience in gas-phase spectroscopy.
• You have an interest in weakly bound complexes.
• You are proficient in English and/or in German.
• You enjoy working in a team.
Further qualifications of superior candidates would include:
• Experience in gas-phase rotational spectroscopy.
• Experience in running computational calculations (DFT, ab initio) and comparing between theoretical and experimental results in a rigorous manor.
Project goals include:
• Testing the viability in measuring H2 complexes in the gas-phase by the H¬2 frequency shift in cooperation with the projects of the current working group.
• Measuring pure rotational spectra of H2 complexes with halogen containing molecules and aromatic molecules.
• Rigorous benchmarking of experimental results against high-level computational methods.
Please send your application documents (CV, motivation letter, academic certificates/transcripts thereof, publication list, 2 references, and proof of language proficiency all combined in a single pdf document) to Prof. Daniel Obenchain (firstname.lastname@example.org) by February 15, 2024. Please put the subject as “PhD Application H2 Complexes” in the subject line.
The Obenchain group is a welcoming to all diverse peoples. The University of Göttingen is an equal opportunities employer and places particular emphasis on fostering career opportunities for women. Qualified women are therefore strongly encouraged to apply in fields in which they are underrepresented. The university has committed itself to being a family-friendly institution and supports their employees in balancing work and family life. The mission of the University is to employ a greater number of severely disabled persons. Applications from severely disabled persons with equivalent qualifications will be given preference.