Conferences do provide the opportunity to establish networks and to gather new input and ideas for the own doctoral project. In order to facilitate the participation of PhD students of the GFA, grants can be requested for conferences as well as workshops or summer schools.
- Doctoral candidates have to fulfil the general requirements.
- Eligible for applying are doctoral candidates who, are members of the GFA (until completing the doctoral examination process by receiving the degree certificate, but no longer than a year after the oral defense).
- Per decision of the GFA board from 28th September 2018, allowances are provided for one trip during PhD studies only.
Documents to be submitted
- Completed application form with original signatures of the applicant and the first supervisor
- Costs projection (total costs/amount applied for at the GFA) with detailed information about:
- Travel costs according to the DAAD regulations
- Accommodation costs according to the „Bundesreisekostengesetz“
- Confirmation of application/acceptance (including indication of own contribution)
- Current certificate of enrolment
- The original documents stating the travel expenses are to be submitted to the GFA no later than 4 weeks after the completion of the journey.
- During the period of emergency funding, the GFA will not grant allowances for conference trips.
- The amount of funding is based on the following criteria:
- Up to 80% of the overall costs if the applicant gives a presentation
- Up to 60% of the overall costs if the applicant presents a poster
- Up to 50% of the overall costs if the applicant does not take an active part in the workshop or summer school (only applicable if the event is of particular importance for the research project, but the structure of the event provides no possibility for an active participation).
- Social criteria
- The GFA allowances for conference trips cover a sum of up to € 1500.
- A renewed application for trips that have already been funded is not possible.
- Summer schools: The approval of allowances for summer schools does not justify the recognition of credits as relevant examination prerequisites.
For applications, please use the ready-made form. Information for the calculation of possible amounts of funding and general information on GFA allowances can be found in the box on the right. Pleasesend your application (one PDF file, max. 10 MB) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 15th March -> earliest possible start of funding: 1st May
- 15th June -> earliest possible start of funding: 1st August
- 15th September -> earliest possible start of funding: 1st November
- 15th December -> earliest possible start of funding: 1st February of the following year