In publica commoda

Frequently asked questions concerning change of subject

There are numerous influencing factors which could turn a course of studies selected on the basis of certain expectations, hopes and wishes into a problem and make you desire a change or an alternative. In such cases it is important for you to make a decision, either to continue your degree programme with dedication, or to reorient yourself.

The Central Student Advisory Service of Göttingen University will be glad to assist you in this important decision-making process.

Application and enrolment

Any change to a higher subject semester normally requires atransfer of credits for examination prerequisites already completed. The subject-specific advisors for your desired degree programme will inform you whether you can be admitted to a higher subject semester, and if so, will issue the necessary transfer of credits certificate.

You can also discuss the actual acceptance and transfer of your examination prerequisites already completed with your new subject-specific advisors. After the change has been effected, the examination office of your new faculty will take care of the transfer within the examination management system.

Only if you wish to change to a subject with limited admission. Please observe the application deadlines! Attention: There is no guarantee that you will be granted a university place in a subject with limited admission!

Admission to higher semesters may also be limited. In such cases be sure to discuss your plans with your subject-specific advisors before you lodge your application, so that you apply for admission to the right subject semester. For any subject with limited admission, you can apply for admission to the first and to one higher subject semester.

For subjects with open admissionyou can apply directly for a transfer during the period of enrolment.

The limitation of admission for various subjects may be changed in higher semesters. In such cases it could be possible that you need no longer apply for a university place if you have the necessary credits for completed examination prerequisites transferred.

If you make a new start in the first subject semester, you must also observe the date of the possible start of your programme. Subjects for dual-subject Bachelor's degree programmes generally only start in the winter semester.

Instructions for students with a nationality outside the EU (or stateless students) or graduates from a preparatory college:

Regardless of whether or not your new desired subject of study is one with restricted admission, you are required to lodge an application in the correct form and on time at the International Student Office. Your transfer of credits certificate must already be submitted with your application.
For subjects with open admission you only need an application for change of your study schedule, which you submit to the Registrar?s Office prior to the deadline, where applicable accompanied by your transfer of credits certificate and any other required documentary evidence. Admission is a prerequisite for enrolment in any subjects with limited admission. The letter of admission is accompanied by a declaration of acceptance where you can enter your new choice of degree programme.

Please note that enrolment for some subjects requires evidence of language proficiency or having passed an aptitude test.

Students with a nationality outside the EU (or stateless students) or graduates from a preparatory college, however, please apply to the International Student Office.

Seeking information

Important information and points of contact can always be found as part of each entry in our general information about courses and degrees offered (Subjects from A to Z):

Make use of the facilities available to clarify your doubts:

  • The study advisory service of the faculties will assist you in case of difficulties with your subject, in planning your schedule of studies or in developing perspectives for the time following your (Bachelor?s) degree programme.
  • The Central Student Advisory Service offers personal counselling and interdisciplinary workshops about changing subjects and reorientation. Here, you have an opportunity to reflect on your first experiences of study and to develop suitable strategies and alternatives, if necessary.

If you are looking for a new subject, you are welcome to use the extensive programme for prospective students. Please check the options available there, such as the information days for prospective students, the online self-assessment for course orientation or trial studies.

Other useful links for research:

It may be a good idea to plan your further schedule of studies. In a dual-subject Bachelor?s degree programme you could concentrate on the subject you wish to continue. In a mono Bachelor?s degree programme there could be opportunities in the area of key competencies to acquire credits for your future degree programme. You should discuss your future schedule of studies with the study and examination advisors.

Your start in the new subject should also be planned. Depending on the specific study and examination regulations, some modules may be required which are only taught during the winter semester. If passing any of these modules is a prerequisite for further study, a rapid continuation of studies cannot necessarily be ensured in the case of admission for the summer semester. Please discuss your further schedule of studies with the subject-specific advisors in connection with your transfer of credits.

Please be sure to observe the BAföG regulations when changing your subject. If you have any questions, please contact the student services organisation Studentenwerk Göttingen. In this connection, we would also like to draw your attention to the free legal assistance provided by the student union (AStA).