Transnational and Digital Linked Life Sciences
Rethinking international cooperation and seeing digitisation as an opportunity has become especially important, because of the current situation with the COVID-19 crisis. The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) intends to support the universities in this process with the programme 'International Mobility and Cooperation through Digitalisation' (IMKD). The project ´liveSciences³ - Transnational and Digital Linked Life Sciences` is one of six projects nationwide that were selected from a total of more than 70 applications and will receive DAAD IMKD funding totalling around 2.2 million euros for a period of three years starting in April 2020.
For the liveSciences³ project, the University of Göttingen, together with its international partner universities in Chile, Costa Rica, France, Denmark, the Netherlands, and Bosnia and Herzegovina, has designed a comprehensive set of interlinked digital measures in order to simplify the Student International Journey through digital services and to enrich it through digitally supported transnational teaching and learning opportunities.
The liveSciences³ project is based on strategies and concepts for the further development of the international dimension of academic education, which are based on the guiding principles for teaching and learning of the University of Göttingen. One of the University's main goals is to provide all students with the opportunity to gain international experience. Excellent conditions for the transformation of innovative processes to strengthen and further develop international partnerships and networks are also provided by good cooperation between the central and satellite units of the University of Göttingen, which forms the foundation for liveSciences.
Participating liveSciences³ facilities at the University of Göttingen are:
- Student and Academic Services;
- International Officel;
- Centre of Biodiversity and Sustainable Land Use (CBL);
- Faculty of Agricultural Sciences;
- Faculty of Forest Sciences and Forest Ecology;
- Faculty of Biology and Psychology.
The main focus of the project is on life sciences. Under the umbrella of the Centre of Biodiversity and Sustainable Land Use (CBL), the three Faculties of Agricultural Sciences, Forestry and Biology and Psychology of the University of Göttingen, together with the partner universities, aim to establish the nucleus of a Life Sciences network to strengthen international and interdisciplinary teaching cooperation.
For the liveSciences³ project, the University of Göttingen, together with international partners, has therefore designed a comprehensive bundle of interconnected digital activities with which it intends to open up new digital and analogue paths for the Student International Journey in Life Sciences network. The following three project goals are pursued to increase the international mobility of students:
1. The Enhanced Student Journey in the Life Sciences Network is shaped through the establishment of digital and transnational enriched and linked curricula and study programs.
2.The methodological and digital skills of students and teachers are strengthened with in the framework of a developed interdisciplinary Life Sciences Network.
3.The Student International Journey is modernized and simplified through digital services. The services are defined and implemented by all partners and can be transferred as a reference within the respective countries.
In order to achieve these goals, the University of Göttingen will establish a transnational Life Sciences network for teaching and learning with the focus on sustainability, in which digital teaching and learning formats will be integrated into the curricula and new formats of mobility will be promoted in a Virtual Campus Exchange. The students have a particularly active role to play here. Another major focus of the liveSciences³ project is the modernisation and simplification of the Student International Journey through digital processes of student and examination administration. Special attention will be paid to the establishment of standardized procedures for international student mobility that create transferable structures beyond the network Life Sciences.
Already existing international double degree programs in the life sciences and intensive long-term international collaborations provide a good starting point for the implementation of the project.
Partner universities in liveSciences³:
- University of Rennes 1 (France);
- Free University Amsterdam (The Netherlands);
- Aarhus University (Denmark);
- University of Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina);
- University of Talca (Chile);
- Costa Rica Institute of Technology (Costa Rica).
liveSciences³ Activities for Students
With liveSciences³ we want to increase and make more flexible the virtual and physical mobility in the life science network together with our international partner universities in France, Denmark, the Netherlands, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Chile and Costa Rica. The main focus is on the life sciences (biology, agricultural sciences, forestry) with sustainability as a key issue.
liveSciences³ project is aimed to simplify the Student International Journey by offering digital services and enrich it with digital transnational teaching and learning opportunities. Among other things, we want to achieve the following:
- Greater choice of courses in the life sciences through the expansion and further development of teaching and learning opportunities in the life science network;
- Making studying in the life sciences more flexible through digitally supplemented teaching and learning opportunities and materials;
- Simplified access to digital teaching and learning offers of the partner universities through the partner student status;
- Digital transfer and transparent recognition of study achievements after a stay abroad in the life science network (virtual or physical);
- Better planning of time spent abroad in Göttingen through the Prognosed Catalogue of Modules;
- Possibilities of experience exchange and further networking as part of the student peer community in theLife Science Network;
- Events and materials to develop digital skills, from content creation classes on (video) blogs and podcasts to the participatory design of teaching and learning events in the sense of 'students as partners
liveSciences³ Activities for Lecturers
With the project liveSciences³ we want to enrich the Student International Journey with digitally supported transnational teaching and learning opportunities. For a sustainable implementation of the Enhanced Student International Journey, we want to further strengthen the methodological knowledge and digital competences of teachers with liveSciences³ and support teachers didactically and technically in the (further) development of innovative teaching and learning offers in the field of life sciences and sustainability. In liveSciences³ we offer:
- Information materials and exchange opportunities on topics and strategies for learning and teaching in the digital age;
- Further training opportunities in methodological and didactic repertoires and digital tools for virtual or blended mobility (e.g. Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL), Open Educational Resources (OER));
- Didactic and technical support and guidance for the (further) development of digital and/or transnational teaching and learning offers and materials in the field of life sciences in the Life Science Network;
- Further qualification opportunities to strengthen digital skills and use digital tools in international academic cooperation.