Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy (M.Sc.)
The consecutive Master's programme in Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy was designed on the basis of the new licensing regulations for psychotherapists (PsychThApprO) and contains all contents relevant to licensing. It is therefore a standard admission requirement for the licensing examination for psychological psychotherapists.
The overarching qualification goal of the Master's programme is to prepare students for clinical psychological and psychotherapeutic work.
- Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy
- Master of Science (M.Sc.)
- Standard period of study:
- 4 semesters
- Winter semester
- Language of the programme:
- restricted admission (application to the faculty)
Get to know us
In the consecutive Master's programme in Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy, existing basic knowledge is specifically deepened. In addition to the sound methodological training, the degree programme allows a high degree of specialisation and profile formation. The competences acquired in the Bachelor's programme can be expanded, especially in the field of psychotherapy. The overarching qualification goal of the Master's degree programme is to prepare students for psychotherapeutic work.
The students should acquire the following competences, among others:
- Scientific work (incl. research planning, research methods, evaluation of empirical studies)
- Interpretation of research results
- Selection of adequate psychological diagnostic instruments as well as their application and evaluation
- Therapy planning and implementation of individual interventions
- Professional communication with patients using therapeutic conversation techniques and interventions
- Professional written and oral presentation as well as competences for oral patient presentation
- Ability to critically reflect on one's own psychotherapeutic actions and reception of feedback
In addition to previous knowledge of natural sciences and interest in a degree programme with a high practical component, you should also have a sound knowledge of English.
The primary field of activity for graduates of this degree programme is psychotherapy in the outpatient and inpatient care of mental disorders. Other fields of activity include diagnostics and intervention in areas such as counselling facilities, rehabilitation facilities, prevention facilities, (occupational) health care or as an expert witness as well as an administrator in the health care sector and as a psychotherapy researcher.
Related and consecutive
The Master's degree programme in Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy is a consecutive degree programme that builds on the foundations of psychology taught in a corresponding relevant polyvalent Bachelor's degree programme, deepens these foundations and ensures sound scientific and practice-oriented training as a psychotherapist*.
The Master's programme in Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy is divided into the areas of university teaching and professional qualification activities.
University teaching consists of the modules:
- In-depth research methodology
- In-depth psychological diagnosis and assessment
- Special disorders and procedures in psychotherapy
- Applied Psychotherapy
- Documentation, evaluation and organisation of psychotherapeutic treatments
- Scientific deepening
- Professional Qualifying Activity II - In-depth Practice of Psychotherapy: Part I-III
The professional practice assignments comprise the modules:
- Research-Oriented Practicum II - Psychotherapy Research
- Professional Qualifying Activity III - Applied Practice of Psychotherapy
- B.Sc. degree or comparable degree (according to PsychThApprO)
- At least 150 ECTS at the time of application
- Achievements in the subject of psychology amounting to at least 101 credits, including
- at least 82 credits in specific areas
- at least 19 credits through practical work placements
- April 1 to May 15 of a year
A proof of measles protection must be provided for enrollment . The form is to be completed by the primary care physician.
Vaccination against Covid-19: On 10.12.2021, the Bundestag passed an amendment to the Infection Protection Act (Infektionsschutzgesetz, IfSG) that introduces a facility-based vaccination requirement from 15.03.2022 for all employees in health and care facilities (§ 20a Infektionsschutzgesetz). This also applies to students on the Master's programme in Clinical Psychology and Psychotherapy.
For queries, please contact the programme coordination email@example.com
Dipl.-Psych. Cornelia Bernardi-Pritzkow
Georg-Elias-Müller-Institut für Psychologie
Phone: +49 551 39 29262