Master of Science Mathematics
Better prepared for research and the economy! This research-oriented degree programme offers numerous options for individual specialisation. With excellent capacity for analytical thought, graduates of Göttingen have been in high demand in various areas of research and the economy for years. This degree also allows students to pursue doctoral studies, for example in one of the interdisciplinary research training groups at the University of Göttingen. This degree programme takes place in an international and interdisciplinary atmosphere which characterises the reputation of Mathematics at Göttingen.
- Master of Science
- Teaching language:
- German or English
- Standard period of studies:
- 4 semesters
- Start of studies:
- Winter and summer semester
(Application to the faculty)
English is the default language of instruction for mathematics in this programme.
The Master's programme goes beyond the objectives of the Bachelor's programme:
- Knowledge of the main mathematical disciplines, their interrelationships,
- handling current mathematical research literature, as well as the ability to scientifically process and depict mathematical problems.
Successful completion of the Master's programme qualifies for:
- mathematical tasks in industry and business for which they are solely responsible,
- heading projects concerning analysing, modelling and solving scientific, economic or technical problems,
- fulfilling planning, developmental and research tasks in business and public institutions,
- occupation as a research employee at institutes of higher education,
- admission to a PhD programme.
Four specialisations are offered according to the four research foci of the Faculty. Two of the specialisations are based on the pure mathematics:
- SP1: Analysis-Geometry-Topology,
- SP2: Algebra-Geometry-Number Theory Analysis
and two specialisations are application-oriented:
- SP3: Numerical and Applied Mathematics,
- SP4: Mathematical Stochstics.
Teaching at the Faculty of Mathematics is research-oriented and at a high level with a large range of courses offered. The Faculty offers excellent opportunities for doctoral studies, for the most part third-party funded (for example in research training groups and the doctoral programme).
In the Master programme of mathematics there are four research-oriented study tracks.
- General research-oriented track ("F"): The track F offers the highest amount of freedom of choice when it comes to courses from the field of mathematics.
- Physics profile ("Phy"): The focus is in mathematical physics and a field of physics is mandatory as a minor subject.
- Mathematcial Data Science ("MDS"): Computer science is a major focus; the fields of study SP 3 or SP 4 are mandatory.
Mathematics is always studied together with a minor subject.
- As part of profile F you may choose from: Computer science, Theoretical Physics, Experimental Physics, Astrophysics, Business, Economics and Philosophy.
- As part of profile Phy you may choose from: Astrophysics und Physics.
- As part of profile MDS Computer Science is mandatory.
You may choose your minor subject indepently from a previous choice in our bachelor's programme.
Graduates who have successfully completed the Master's programme have very good career opportunities in banks, insurance companies, consulting firms and commercial enterprises, in research and development departments of larger firms, in the consulting and sales departments of firms of the technical branch as well as in the data processing and advertising sectors. They are needed in almost all areas in which scientific, economic or technical problems need to be analyzed, modelled and solved.
You will be completing a total of 120 C, 90 C by taking courses and 30 C by writing the Master’s thesis.
You have four study tracks to choose from: General Mathematics, Physics or Mathematical Data Science (MDS).
The choice of your study profile may predetermine the selection of your fields of study and minor subject.