Informationen für internationale Doktoranden und Postdocs

Once you get to Göttingen there are a couple of things you need to take care of:

  • In order to get your employment contract ready to sign: If you haven’t done so already, show all your original documents (certificate of birth, reports/certificates, e.g. school-leaving-certificate, university degrees) to the person responsible for your employment contract:

    • Dr. Markus Hold (Physical Chemistry)
    • Dr. Claudia Stückl (Inorganic Chemistry)
    • Dr. Andrea Dietrich (Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry)

    They will be in contact with you beforehand.

  • Go to the Citizens Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt/Bürgeramt, address and opening hours) and register your new address (this has to be done at least two weeks after you moved into your new apartment). In order to register your new address, you will need your passport and a Landlord’s Certificate (Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung or Vermieterbescheinigung), which you will get from your landlord. You will get a certificate for the registration.

  • Also at the Citizens Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt/Bürgeramt), apply for a criminal record (Polizeiliches Führungszeugnis, Belegart O”). You will need your passport and there will be a fee of 13 € to pay. The criminal record will be sent directly to your employer. In your case this is the University. Make sure you have the following address with you:

    An die
    Präsidentin der Georg-August-Universtität
    Sachgebiet 5215 (“5231” for students from the Institute of Inorganic Chemistry)
    Goßlerstraße 5-7
    D-37073 Göttingen

  • Open a bank account. You will need your passport, your employment contract and the certificate for the address registration from the Citizens Registration Office.

  • You will need insurance coverage of one of the German public health insurance funds (please choose one of it; you can find information via internet; a lot of PhD students join the “Techniker Krankenkasse” or the “AOK” or “DAK” or one of the Betriebskrankenkassen).

  • Make an appointment at the Foreigners’ Authority (Ausländerbehörde) in order to get your Residence and your Work Permit. You will need your employment contract, a certificate for health insurance, rental agreement, biometric photo and make sure to bring your passport.

  • In order to get the correct salary, you need to go to the Finance Authority (Finanzamt, Godehardstr. 6, 37073 Göttingen) to get your Tax-ID. It will also be sent to you via mail, but this will take some time. You will need your passport for identification.

In case you have any questions, please feel free to contact the scientific coordinator.

Download PDF