Documents for the application
Applications for Master study programmes have to be submitted only via an online application portal.
The following application documents are required:
1. (BA) degree certificate with a transcirpt of records. If the originals are not in English or German, these documents have to be submitted additionally in the form of certified German or English translations.
You may apply for a place in any of the Master programmes even if you have not yet fully completed your Bachelor's degree. If you fulfill the programme requirements, you can be conditionally admitted and you can enroll, even if you have not completed your Bachelor's degree. Please note, though, that your Bachelor's degree must be completed by November 15 (application for the winter semester) or by May 15 (application for the summer semester).
Göttingen students do not have to hand in their Bachelor diplomas separately as the alumni list is kept at the Faculty. However, it is strongly recommended that Göttingen students keep a close eye to the list of grades in FlexNow to make sure that all grades are entered in due time.
2. CV in German or English with a meaningful representation of the education.
3. If necessary, a motivation letter on the reasons to study and to reflect on previous academic experience has to be submitted.
A motivation letter is required by the following MA programmes:
- Arabic Studies / Islamic Studies
- East Asian Studies
- German Philology
- English: Language, Literatures and Cultures
- Comparative Literature
- North American Studies
- New German Literature
- Amercian Studies (North American Studies) (Joint Honours MA, 42 C)
- Digital Humanities (Single Honours MA, 78 C or Joint Honours MA, 42 C)
- East Asian Studies/Modern Sinology (Single Honours MA, 78 C or Joint Honours MA, 42 C)
- English: Language, Literatures and Cultures (Single Honours MA, 78 C or Joint Honours MA, 42 C)
- Iranian and Persianate Studies (Single Honours MA, 78 C or Joint Honours MA, 42 C)
- Linguistics (Single Honours MA, 78 C or Joint Honours MA, 42 C)
- Anglophone Literature and Culture (MA minor subject, 36 C)
- American Studies (North American Studies) (MA minor subject, 36 C)
- Digital Humanities (MA minor subject, 36 C)
- English: Language, Literatures and Cultures (MA minor subject, 36 C or 18 C)
- Language in Focus: Linguistics and Medieval English Studies (MA minor subject, 36 C)
- Linguistik (Linguistics) (MA minor subject, 36 C or 18 C)
- Modern Indian Studies (MA minor subject, 36 C)
- Modern China (MA minor subject, 36 C)
4. If neccessary, appropriate documentation to prove specific language skills for the chosen MA program, if special access requirements have been defined.
5. If neccessary, descriptions of the finished BA courses.
6. For international applicants: documentation of sufficient German language skills (DSH min. level 2, TestDaF min. 4xTDN4, Goethe Certificate C2 or Telc C1 Hochschule). A proof of sufficient German language skills can be submitted also after the application deadline, but not later than September, 30th (for winter semester) or March, 31 (for summer semester).
For an application for the following English language Master programmes German language skills are not required:
- Major subjects:
- Minor subjets:
7. Placement in a higher semester If you apply for a placement in a higher semester of a Master's degree programme (with a planned relocation to Göttingen), further documentation of respective studies and/or appropriate credit certificates must be included.
Applications that are received incomplete, not in due form or past the deadlines are excluded from further proceedings.