LITE – Label for IoT Transparency Enhancement
We provide clear information about the way IoT devices collect and handle your data. Our solution is rooted in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and has been user validated. Our Label for IoT Transparency Enhancement (LITE) helps protect the privacy of people who use Internet of Things devices. It does so by bringing important privacy facts to the attention of users, whereas normally this info is buried under a ton of paper. Unlike other proposed designs, ours has been validated via usability tests, so we know that non-experts and experts alike can benefit from these labels. The design also considers feedback from security, privacy and legal experts, and it is rooted in the GDPR. The label is augmented with an on-line interface, which provides search and sort functionality, as well as additional visualizations and details that don't fit on a printed label.
- Start: 01/12/2015
- End: 30/09/2020
- Funding scheme: EU H2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Networks (ITN-ETN)
- Project page: https://privacyus.eu
- A. Railean and D. Reinhardt. Improving the Transparency of Privacy Terms Updates. Proceedings of the 9th Annual Privacy Forum (APF), 2021. Acceptance rate for full papers: 21%.
- A. Railean and D. Reinhardt. OnLITE: On-line Label for IoT Transparency Enhancement. Proceedings of the 25th Nordic Conference on Secure IT Systems (NordSec), 2020. Acceptance rate for full papers: 33%. [PDF]
- A. Railean and D. Reinhardt. OnLITE: Online Label For Internet of Things Transparency Enhancement. Proceedings of the Open Day for Privacy, Usability, and Transparency (PUT), 2019. [PDF]
- A. Railean and D. Reinhardt. Let there be LITE: Design and Evaluation of a Label for IoT Transparency Enhancement. Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services (MobileHCI Adjunct), 2018. [PDF]
- A. Railean and D. Reinhardt. Life-long Privacy in the IoT? Measuring Privacy Attitudes Throughout the Life-cycle of IoT Devices. Privacy and Identity Management. The Smart Revolution, 2018. [PDF]